Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spending More Money Since Surgery But Enjoying It!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spending More Money Since Surgery But Enjoying It!

Many of you know that I've posted in the past about being thrilled to be back to my fun activities, such as, golfing, tap dancing, riding my bike, etc. Today, I wasn't teaching and it was too cold and windy to play golf, so I went shopping. I just realized that I've been able to go shopping for longer periods of time without my back tiring. I also don't reject as many outfits as I did before surgery when I would become discouraged when seeing the view of my back in the mirror that showed my predominant rib hump. I've definitely spent more money on clothes (so I'm not sure that's a plus), however, I love being able to buy clothes that aren't all loose fitting and I also am happy that I'm not tiring out when shopping for other people, as well as for myself.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Amen, sistah!
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Oh, I can't wait to go shopping! May be I'll go soon. Before the surgery, shopping was such a depressing experience that I stopped buying new clothes and only wore old baggy outfits. I didn't wear dresses for many years because I looked terrible in them, but I love, love dresses. If I wore a dress, it had to be something with a matching jacket, which was difficult to find. Weddings and any formal events were so depressing for me in terms of dressing up. My husband enjoys wearing suits for formal occasions, and I hated to dress up because I couldn't! I only had a few dresses with matching jackets that weren't my style, but I bought them only because of these jackets. These dresses were for older women, but I had to wear them because they were my only option.

Not anymore! Now I can buy clothes that fit my style and no more matching jackets! I am also growing my hair longer because I want to be a new person - with straight back and longish hair. I didn't do this surgery for cosmetic reasons and would never recommend anyone to go into this surgery only because they don't like the look of their backs, but cosmetic benefit is so great! I have lots of healing to do, but seeing my back in the mirror lifts my spirits a lot!
      Last edited by Irina; 04-12-2013, 01:51 PM.
      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Live it up, ladies! I am actually 15 pounds heavier than pre-op, but I STILL fit better in dresses than I did before! I can't wait until I lose this "freshman 15" (wink, wink) and can really enjoy dresses.

Irina, you are going to love that first time out shopping!

Karen, I wanted to buy a bunch of new clothes, so I eventually hit the consignment shops!! I highly recommend consignment shopping in an upscale area. I did it in Naples, FL and got all kinds of great brands at bargain basement prices!

Cheers,
        Evelyn
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Irina,
          The first time I went shopping fairly early during my recovery, I was still not even stooping or bending. I was so excited that I was driving again and selecting some new clothes, that I dropped my credit card and had to ask the clerk if she would pick it up for me because I'd had back surgery. It is so much less frustrating to buy clothes now since I don't have to eliminate so many styles because of my back. Have fun!
          Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Karen,

Did you have any pain/discomfort when trying on clothes? I'm 8 weeks post and I still haven't "shopped my closet" to see how my old stuff fits since I find it uncomfortable to move in certain ways - it's a bit painful to move my arms since I'm fused up to T3, and taking off sweaters stretches the whole back and it feels really weird. I'm excited to go shopping but don't quite feel up to it yet.

Comment

It was much later in my recovery than 8 weeks since I drove myself. It was probably closer to four or five months. You'll get there!
              Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

I'm also at 8 weeks postop. Not quite ready to do major shopping yet but so exited to do it. My skin feels really sensitive and putting on jeans feels weird now. That's getting better though. Glad you're having fun Karen.
                Last edited by maggie6; 04-14-2013, 11:06 AM.
                44 years old, right thoracic curve 63 degrees, thoracolumbar major curve 75 degrees, thoracic kyphosis 39 degrees.

Comment

Yesterday I purchased this dress online from macys.com. Returns can be made at any time after the purchase, so if it doesn't fit, I'll just return it. You can either mail it back or go to the store and return it there. Macys doesn't charge shipping fees on purchases made over $99.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/e...8%26slotId%3D7

Maggie6 and aileens, do you want to try shopping online? Some people prefer to try clothes on and I was one of them, but hey, after this huge surgery trying something new like shopping online should be fun. I am sure it will lift your spirits up. Try it!

Comment

Thanks Karen!

Maggie, wearing jeans feels weird to me at first - I think it's the sensation of putting clothes on. I'm really numb from my shoulders to my butt so pulling clothes on kinda gives me the willies, for lack of a better way of describing it.

Irina, that's a gorgeous dress! I love to online shop, mostly because physically shopping in stores before surgery had me in pain within the first 15 mins. I'm holding off for the time being since I've lost a ton of weight but don't expect to stay this size since I'm now eating anything not nailed down :-(. We'll see how long my shopping restraint lasts...

Comment

Glad to see more people shopping online! (Since I own an online shop myself, hehe!)

Unfortunately the dress is not showing up for me but it's great the shipping is free and you can return it if necessary. I think as long as you check the return policy first, online shopping's great.

Enjoy your new clothes ladies! You've earned it!
                      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                        Glad to see more people shopping online! (Since I own an online shop myself, hehe!)

Unfortunately the dress is not showing up for me but it's great the shipping is free and you can return it if necessary. I think as long as you check the return policy first, online shopping's great.

Enjoy your new clothes ladies! You've earned it!
                        What type of online shop do you own, Jennifer?

Comment

Irina,
                          I love your dress. It looks sassy!
                          Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by Irina View Post
                            What type of online shop do you own, Jennifer?
                            Karen, I have an online baby and children's jewelry shop. I won't give the address here but you can PM me if you'd like to look at it.
                            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                              Karen, I have an online baby and children's jewelry shop. I won't give the address here but you can PM me if you'd like to look at it.
                              I sent you a PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X