Six Months post op update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six Months post op update

I had my six month appointment with Dr Hey last week. The xrays showed some bone growth and the fusion is doing excellent. I could see a couple places where the bone was growing over the tops of the bolts. I didn't know bone would do that. It makes me feel more solid knowing that.

When I had my height measured, it seemed I had lost more. It was a mystery to me. Then Dr Hey had me walk for him and I showed him I could comfortably stand on my left foot and then comfortably stand on my right foot. But to stand on both feet at the same time was actually painful in my hips. I told Dr Hey that I thought I might need a lift in my left shoe and he showed me my xray and said yes, a lift would work. Since I am fused to the pelvis, the hips can't adjust to a leg difference.

I told Dr Hey that it felt like I was pitched forward, with a bit of a "vulture neck". He said that as I got stronger, I would use better posture. I didn't know I could have poor posture after scoliosis surgery so as soon as I got home, I held my head up higher and pushed my shoulders back a bit more. The rods moved like crazy and it was a bit painful when I did that. Oy! But I can feel the potential for a better posture. I really hope my poor posture didn't make the rods heal in a less optimal position. I'll have to ask Dr Hey about that. It seems that if you're all bolted together, there would be no room for error while healing.

Three times in the past couple days, I had my sons measure my height. We did it as accurately as possible, using a level and metal straight edge, standing flat footed on a hard floor against the wall. I got measurements for standing flat and comfortably on one foot at a time. There is 5/8" difference in my height between standing on my right leg and left leg. Wow. I didn't know it was such a big difference. That would explain why I've had so much trouble figuring out how to walk.

Is there a shoe lift than can be glued on the outside of a shoe? Dr Hey had recommended trying a 1/4" insert in my shoe. But I can see now that won't be enough. I've been walking around the house with just one shoe on my left foot and that's already making an improvement. I'm almost desperate and crazy enough to wear two different shoes out in public, just so I can walk without bobbing like a metronome. But then would you all notice if someone walked perfectly fine but had two different shoes on? I rarely notice shoes so I wouldn't be one to notice. ha ha I've also thought of buying thick soled shoes and using a saw to cut off 5/8" from the right shoe.

I take an extra strength Tylenol about twice a week and that's all for the pain meds. I had to give up all the pain medication at 4 months because I found the side affects more annoying than the pain. Pain definitely slowed me down but now I feel that the care I took to avoid more pain helped the fusion so it all ended good.

I finally started driving again this week. Six months after surgery is probably longer than the rest of you but I'm a little slow. My right hip hurt too bad to lift my foot to the gas and brake pedals with confidence. Now that I know my hip pain is due to a leg difference, I'll be driving more. Looking forward to getting ANY shoes that work well at this point.

Now that I know I'm fusing well, I'm working on posture and walking.
    1973 Age 15 diagnosed with scoliosis but told too old for surgery.
    2001 age 43 told too old for surgery, did physical therapy & traction.
    2001 to 2008 Intermittent use of home traction machine and TENS unit.
    2009 traction no longer effective - physical therapy.
    2011 More physical therapy. 2012 Collapsing scoliosis - MRI before surgery
    At age 53, surgery on October 2nd, 2012 with Dr Hey
    Fusion with titanium rods and bolts from T1 to pelvis.
    Post op x-ray

Congrats on your 6 month Post Op. Your pre-opt xray did look so painful, so glad to hear you are on just occasional tylenol. Seeing your Scoli history encourages me that we are doing the right thing by surgery for my 14. We had a consult with Dr. Hey also, what an amazing person, truly brillant. Not sure if we can swing the finances to be Out of Network, but we'd choose him as our son's surgeon in a heartbeat, no question.

You are lucky to have him and his opinion on what to do/expect as you heal. You are on your way to healthy, happy spine!

All the best!

-C
    Mom to son with new straight spine 8/15/2013 T16, L16
    Pre op T65, L?
    diagnosed 2/21/13 T55, L42

Comment

Originally posted by JuliaAnn View Post

Is there a shoe lift than can be glued on the outside of a shoe? Dr Hey had recommended trying a 1/4" insert in my shoe. But I can see now that won't be enough. I've been walking around the house with just one shoe on my left foot and that's already making an improvement. I'm almost desperate and crazy enough to wear two different shoes out in public, just so I can walk without bobbing like a metronome. But then would you all notice if someone walked perfectly fine but had two different shoes on? I rarely notice shoes so I wouldn't be one to notice. ha ha I've also thought of buying thick soled shoes and using a saw to cut off 5/8" from the right shoe.

My father has hip problems and his right leg is significantly shorter than his left leg. He goes to some shoe repair place and they attach a shoe lift to the outside of his shoe. He wears a shoe lift insert in addition to that too. May be you should try the same - go to any shoe repair shop and ask them to help?

I also lean to the right and I've gotten a shoe lift from the place that did my brace. My doctor recommended 3/8" shoe lift and this seems to work. You can buy the same lift on amazon and here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Warwick-Enterp...f=pd_sim_hpc_4

Hope it helps.
      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Glad that things seem to be going well for you.

The suggestion about the outside shoe lifts is a good one.

Dr Hey is a great person and a wonderful surgeon. If I had been staying in NC, I would have used Dr Hey as my surgeon
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Working...
        X