discectomy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• discectomy

I am scheduled to have surgery next month.
    I will for sure have a discectomy.Surgeon will be removing disc materila which is impinging a nerve.If too much material has to be removed and the area appears to be unstable ,he then will fuse that one vertabrae,L5-s1.

How much pain can I expect after this procedure and what do you think I will have for recovery time?

Hi Scoliosisguy...

Most of us who have had scoliosis surgery, had anywhere from 4 to 20+ fusions, so it's hard to tell what the pain from one fusion might be. I guess that it's possible that 20 fusions aren't any more painful than 1 fusion, but I certainly don't know that.

You might want to ask your doctor to provide you with the names and contact numbers for a few other patients who have had the same surgery. They can give you a good idea of what to expect.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Re: discectomy

Scoliosis guy:
      I had a discectomy at the age of 42 on L4/L5. At that age, you will be feeling pretty good by the third week.
      If you have a fusion, your most painful
      area will be the bone graft area. It is
      agraviating, not debilitating. I was a single mother with two small girls, it
      just never occurred to me not to march
      right out of the house as soon as possible and do everything I felt well enough to do. If you are in good shape
      (athletic), you will sail through it.
      Kathleen

I am scheduled to have surgery next month.
      I will for sure have a discectomy.Surgeon will be removing disc materila which is impinging a nerve.If too much material has to be removed and the area appears to be unstable ,he then will fuse that one vertabrae,L5-s1.

How much pain can I expect after this procedure and what do you think I will have for recovery time?
      [/QUOTE]

Comment

if fusion

If its a fusion,I was told there will not be a bone grat from me.It will be from some man made stuff

Comment

Working...
        X