PDA

View Full Version : Post-op milestone questions

aileens
04-04-2013, 11:10 AM
I'm 7 weeks post-op after t4-to-sacrum surgeries and was curious as to what other people's experiences were on the following:

1. For those of you who wear contacts, when did you start wearing them again? I think because I can feel everything in my back, the idea of putting in contacts makes me queasy. Then and again, I may just be overly squeamish.
2. When did you start to wear heels again? I'm in no rush to break mine out, just wondering when I might be able to do so.
3. When did you cook your first somewhat elaborate meal (ie requiring prep & multiple steps) and when did you start baking again? I've been fortunate to have a great husband who likes to cook and a friend who is an excellent baker, but I'd like to start being a bit more self-sufficient. At least the weather has improved in Boston to the point I can walk to restaurants and bakeries, but it's not quite the same.

Thank you! Aileen

Irina
04-04-2013, 12:48 PM
I'm 7 weeks post-op after t4-to-sacrum surgeries and was curious as to what other people's experiences were on the following:

1. For those of you who wear contacts, when did you start wearing them again? I think because I can feel everything in my back, the idea of putting in contacts makes me queasy. Then and again, I may just be overly squeamish.
2. When did you start to wear heels again? I'm in no rush to break mine out, just wondering when I might be able to do so.
3. When did you cook your first somewhat elaborate meal (ie requiring prep & multiple steps) and when did you start baking again? I've been fortunate to have a great husband who likes to cook and a friend who is an excellent baker, but I'd like to start being a bit more self-sufficient. At least the weather has improved in Boston to the point I can walk to restaurants and bakeries, but it's not quite the same.

Thank you! Aileen

I am 4 weeks post-op and made an omlet with ham, tomatoes and cheese today. It's nothing elaborate, but required a few steps - chopping ham and tomatoes, whisking eggs, folding and flipping an omlet. It felt so good to hold a chef's knife in my hand and use a cutting board again!

I didn't wear contacts yet because I didn't want to bother with putting them on and off, but might do it in a week when we go for a follow-up visit to my doctor. As for heels, I don't think I'd ever wear them again - I grew 3.25 inches in the surgery and am the same height as my husband - almost 5'10". Even small heels will make me taller then him. If I buy heels for myself, I'd have to buy heels for him too :-)

LindaRacine
04-04-2013, 12:48 PM
1. In the hospital
2. Never
3. 3-4 months

Confusedmom
04-04-2013, 10:39 PM
1. No contacts - but makeup at about 3-4 weeks
2. Heels - very rarely after 6 months
3. Simple cooking at 1 month - an actual family meal at 4-5 months