Post-op milestone questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-op milestone questions

I'm 7 weeks post-op after t4-to-sacrum surgeries and was curious as to what other people's experiences were on the following:
    1. 1. For those of you who wear contacts, when did you start wearing them again? I think because I can feel everything in my back, the idea of putting in contacts makes me queasy. Then and again, I may just be overly squeamish.
    2. 2. When did you start to wear heels again? I'm in no rush to break mine out, just wondering when I might be able to do so.
    3. 3. When did you cook your first somewhat elaborate meal (ie requiring prep & multiple steps) and when did you start baking again? I've been fortunate to have a great husband who likes to cook and a friend who is an excellent baker, but I'd like to start being a bit more self-sufficient. At least the weather has improved in Boston to the point I can walk to restaurants and bakeries, but it's not quite the same.

Thank you! Aileen

Originally posted by aileens View Post
    I'm 7 weeks post-op after t4-to-sacrum surgeries and was curious as to what other people's experiences were on the following:
    1. 1. For those of you who wear contacts, when did you start wearing them again? I think because I can feel everything in my back, the idea of putting in contacts makes me queasy. Then and again, I may just be overly squeamish.
    2. 2. When did you start to wear heels again? I'm in no rush to break mine out, just wondering when I might be able to do so.
    3. 3. When did you cook your first somewhat elaborate meal (ie requiring prep & multiple steps) and when did you start baking again? I've been fortunate to have a great husband who likes to cook and a friend who is an excellent baker, but I'd like to start being a bit more self-sufficient. At least the weather has improved in Boston to the point I can walk to restaurants and bakeries, but it's not quite the same.

Thank you! Aileen
    I am 4 weeks post-op and made an omlet with ham, tomatoes and cheese today. It's nothing elaborate, but required a few steps - chopping ham and tomatoes, whisking eggs, folding and flipping an omlet. It felt so good to hold a chef's knife in my hand and use a cutting board again!

I didn't wear contacts yet because I didn't want to bother with putting them on and off, but might do it in a week when we go for a follow-up visit to my doctor. As for heels, I don't think I'd ever wear them again - I grew 3.25 inches in the surgery and am the same height as my husband - almost 5'10". Even small heels will make me taller then him. If I buy heels for myself, I'd have to buy heels for him too :-)
    Last edited by Irina; 04-04-2013, 09:52 PM.
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

1. In the hospital
      2. Never
      3. 3-4 months
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

1. No contacts - but makeup at about 3-4 weeks
        2. Heels - very rarely after 6 months
        3. Simple cooking at 1 month - an actual family meal at 4-5 months
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Working...
        X