bending post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bending post-op

I am 5months post-op and was wondering if I will ever be able to do my toenails again. I have read on the forum that you can tie shoes and put socks on after about a year, is that true?

Where levels are you fused?

Tamena
    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

I can put on tennis shoes and socks without any difficulty and I am fused T4 to the sacrum. I used a sock aide for the first 8 months or so. Once I was permitted to do some more stretching, I gradually improved. At first, all of my bows were on the side of my shoes. I can now trim my toenails if I need to, but continue to pamper myself with pedicures. Don't judge anything based on what you are unable to do during the first year. I know that I have noticed improvements in my strength and flexibility even after my two year anniversary.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

bending

Originally posted by tae_tap View Post
        Where levels are you fused?

Tamena
        t4 to scrotum

Comment

Originally posted by retired Mom View Post
          t4 to scrotum
          haha... never heard of that.
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hahaha

Got to love auto correct!
            Ditto what Karen said. I am 6 months post op today and I have been tying my shoes for a couple months although though bows are on the side...
            Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
            53*T 71*L
            Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
            Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

someone ask the surgeons how long they have been fusing patients
              to the "scrotum"
              i think they might like to hear that one.

jess...and Sparky

Comment

Now I have to change my signature....Ha ha

Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

You guys are making me laugh! The Ellen Show once had some wild text messages with the auto correct. Really funny!
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

And you guys are making me to learn more English - I just learned another word - ha-ha :-)
                    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Originally posted by Irina View Post
                      And you guys are making me to learn more English - I just learned another word - ha-ha :-)
                      I am sure that it will come in handy
                      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

My sock aid was too big for most of my socks. I have a high bed and found that it worked well for putting on shoes and socks and filing toe nails. I was fused to pelvis so my hips were sore. But starting about post-op month 3, I sit on the edge of the bed with one leg on the floor. My other leg is on the bed, bent at the knee, almost a half "indian style" sitting, or a ballerina's pirouette pose, so my foot is high enough for me to reach comfortably to tie my shoes. The bed holds my leg up so there is no strain trying to get into that position and I don't have to bend my back. That does take a flexible knee and hip but it works.

And yes, this thread made me laugh out loud! ha ha
                        1973 Age 15 diagnosed with scoliosis but told too old for surgery.
                        2001 age 43 told too old for surgery, did physical therapy & traction.
                        2001 to 2008 Intermittent use of home traction machine and TENS unit.
                        2009 traction no longer effective - physical therapy.
                        2011 More physical therapy. 2012 Collapsing scoliosis - MRI before surgery
                        At age 53, surgery on October 2nd, 2012 with Dr Hey
                        Fusion with titanium rods and bolts from T1 to pelvis.
                        Post op x-ray

Comment

Old thread, but i need advice

I think I have found one of my reasons for my pain-problems. Reading these, I am totally breaking the rules. I have tied shoes, clipped my toenails, have a bottom freezer with fridge on top, picked up my kitten and small dog from the floor (I always squat, though) and grabbed many things from the floor. I cannot walk through a room and see crap on my floors! Again, I always try to squat but I am wondering if I am straining my back. I really wish I had a brace to monitor what I should be doing!!!! If I jeopardize the success of this surgery for the vanity of my house I will never forgive myself! I WILL find a grabber this weekend to help with this problem.
                          *Jen
                          Fusion surgery with Dr. Chang May 7, 2013
                          Pre-T:50 L:48
                          Post-T:20 L:0
                          Degenerative disk disease through spine and neck with bulging disks as well. Spinal cord deformity in the area of C5-6.
                          {On the road to a lifetime of forever with a back not holding me down!! Vacations, playtime with the kids, adult excursions! Life is moving forward not holding me back }

Comment

Jen,

It's true the pre-op papers I got said not to bend, lift, twist or squat for the first four months, I believe. By not bending, they mean don't go tighter than a 90 degree angle between your abdomen and thigh. But, I wouldn't get too worried, as long as everything still seems in place. Dr. Lenke told me at my 5-week follow up appointment that I could begin to lift restrictions, as long as it didn't cause extra pain. I did do some minor squatting and going down on one knee to pick things up, occasionally. But usually I used the grabber. Anyway, all I'm saying is that while technically you've been breaking the rules, you probably will be just fine as long as you've been keeping your trunk stabilized and erect (which it sounds like you have).

Evelyn
                            age 48
                            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Thank you!!!! Many smiley faces

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                              Jen,

It's true the pre-op papers I got said not to bend, lift, twist or squat for the first four months, I believe. By not bending, they mean don't go tighter than a 90 degree angle between your abdomen and thigh. But, I wouldn't get too worried, as long as everything still seems in place. Dr. Lenke told me at my 5-week follow up appointment that I could begin to lift restrictions, as long as it didn't cause extra pain. I did do some minor squatting and going down on one knee to pick things up, occasionally. But usually I used the grabber. Anyway, all I'm saying is that while technically you've been breaking the rules, you probably will be just fine as long as you've been keeping your trunk stabilized and erect (which it sounds like you have).

Evelyn
                              I am very tall and lean so I always go down to all fours or squat but there are times while seating I have bent and I think.....should I be doing this? I just wish I would have been shown right and wrong. I am a very visual person! I can feel it strain if I try to much so that is a good indicator but I think overall I have been safe.
                              *Jen
                              Fusion surgery with Dr. Chang May 7, 2013
                              Pre-T:50 L:48
                              Post-T:20 L:0
                              Degenerative disk disease through spine and neck with bulging disks as well. Spinal cord deformity in the area of C5-6.
                              {On the road to a lifetime of forever with a back not holding me down!! Vacations, playtime with the kids, adult excursions! Life is moving forward not holding me back }

Comment

Working...
                              X