Travel Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel Tips

Hi all! I have been traveling quite a bit with my son for his wrestling tournaments and staying at different hotels along the way. I have to say that the hotels are kicking my butt and causing pain. Does travel and sleeping at hotels ever get easier? Are there any tricks to it?

Tamena
    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

I hear ya! We've been traveling a lot for Lizzie's archery tourneys. Bring your own pillow and ask for a handicap accessible room (toilets are higher, bars in showers, etc). Unfortunately, most hotels we've stayed at recently have pillow tops beds which make it difficult for me to roll around in and get out.
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have found that taking a twin size 1" memory foam mattress topper enables me to sleep pretty well as most hotel beds are too hard for me. We just fold it in half and roll it up and tie it and it's not too much trouble to carry along on trips.
      Jane

Comment

Doreen,

What kind of mattress do you normally sleep on? I feel like you describe all the time. (Doesn't hurt, but difficult to move around.) Maybe I need to try a different kind of mattress?

Evelyn
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

We bought a non-pillow top orthopedic bed from The Original Mattress Factory. The extra firm was too hard for me so be bought the next level down.

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
          Doreen,

What kind of mattress do you normally sleep on? I feel like you describe all the time. (Doesn't hurt, but difficult to move around.) Maybe I need to try a different kind of mattress?

Evelyn

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

We bought a non-pillow top orthopedic bed from The Original Mattress Factory. The extra firm was too hard for me so we bought the next level down.

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
            Doreen,

Evelyn

Comment

Working...
            X