Im new!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im new!

hey everyone! i had a 50 degree curve & its now down to about 13 and i had the operation in september. everything went perfectly & i hardly had any pain. i have a rod from the T10- L3 and a scar which is on my side & curves upwards about 20-25 cm long. i had my operation in Mater Childrens Hospital in brisbane, Australia & i highly recommend it. i had an epidural for 4 days after my operation & im wondering if anyone else had one? it made me numb from my thighs up to my ribs. i still have no pain now though & everything is going very well. (i had a much more detailed post written but my Computer froze! grrrrr! it took me ages as well!!!)
    *ANGIE* 14-15 y/o
    had operation in september 2004
    a rod was put in:T10-L3
    My curve was 50* & is now 7*
    "All that glitters is not always gold & diamonds in the rough do not always shine"

hey its me again.. i jus went back to the hospital (6 months post op) and i can finally run etc! i cant horse ride or anything "extreme" until 12 months post op tho

because i have grown some more y curve has improved & its now down to 7 degrees & i dont have to go back to the hospital for a year!
    *ANGIE* 14-15 y/o
    "All that glitters is not always gold & diamonds in the rough do not always shine"

Comment

Hi pink_jazmin,

My daughter is having surgery next week, anterior just like you, and she will be fused T11 to L2 or 3. I think and epidural is a great idea. I will call my doctor's office and ask about it tomorrow. Much better than narcotics that make you dopey and constipated.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Susanna
      Susanna
      ~~~~~~
      Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

thanks for the reply. yep the epidural was great & works very well & i had nearly no pian at all. could someone tell me the difference between anterior & posterior because i thought posterior was the one that they did on me. i had the operation on my side & went they thru my lung to get to my spine so i had a lung drain as well for a while.
        ~Angie~
        *ANGIE* 14-15 y/o

Comment

Angie,

Posterior is your back. Anterior is your side or front. My anterior incision is under my right breast around my side up to my shoulder blade. My posterior goes down the center of my back from the top all the way down to my rear.
          Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
          Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
          Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
          Fused T2 to sacrum
          June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
          MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi Angie, Posterior surgery means they approach from the back. They cut your back and you would have a long scar next to your spine. You had anterior surgery. They go through your side, collapse a lung so it's not in the way, and do the operation from the front of the spine. This is the kind of surgery my daughter is going to have next week. It is so good to hear that you are doing so well and not having any pain! Thanks so much for posting. Susanna
            Susanna
            ~~~~~~
            Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

ok thank you ~best wishes with everything~
              *ANGIE* 14-15 y/o

Comment

Thank you Angie! I'll let everyone know how we're doing after surgery. Susanna
                Susanna
                ~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                X