Nervous mom who made the big decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nervous mom who made the big decision

Hi, I am new to this forum. I recently made the decision to have the surgery done in the fall of this year. I have an "S" curve and the top curve is now at about 56 degrees. I'm hoping that I made the right decision but the surgery seems inevitable and Id rather have it while I am younger and healthy. I am very happy with my doctor who has been fairly conservative about having it done. Id love to hear from other moms in their 40's that have had this surgery and what the post surgery is like. I'm very active, work FT and have 2 wonderful children and a very supportive husband. Needless to say I'm very nervous for the surgery itself and how it is going to change our lives and daily routines. Thank you for your input.

What levels will you have fused? I am fused T4-S1 with pelvic fixation and one-year postop. Send me a private message, and I will answer any question you have. I had a 5-year-old and 9-year-old at the time of my surgery, and lots of help from family and friends.
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

I'm not sure what levels I'll have fused but will find out at my next appt. I'll message you with the details and any questions. Thanks for the offer.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. We all understand being nervous in making the decision about the unknown. I also understand being active with a husband and kids (I have four of them) and am now 5 months post op. The most important thing that helps through the process is having a good support system, because with that you can handle anything thrown your direction.

The big question are what levels are being fused?

Tamena
        Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum. I am 45, but my daughter is 22, so I can't tell much about how this surgery will affect your ability to spend time with kids. Making the decision to have the surgery was the most difficult part for me, so I totally understand your being nervous. I had some complications, but do not let it scare you. If someone had complications, doesn't mean you'd have it too. Having surgery sooner then later because it is inevitable was one of my motivations too. It is very important to be physically active pre-op - it will make your recovery easier. Google log-rolling and practice it. I was a log-roll pro because I practiced it before-hand. Good luck!
          Last edited by Irina; 03-28-2013, 02:49 PM.
          I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
          45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
          A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Working...
          X