PDA

View Full Version : Question on behalf of a member of the Australian Forum

JenniferG
03-21-2013, 03:50 AM
I have been asked to post this question by someone who applied to join this forum a couple of months ago without success.

She would like to know whether anyone over 50 with a long fusion does not have pelvic fixation.

I think basically she wants to know if patients over 50 are seen as requiring the pelvic fixation because of their age.

Thanks in advance. I'll pass all answers on to her.

Jen

Pooka1
03-21-2013, 06:55 AM
That's an interesting question. I would think only if it was a lumbar curve or a TL curve that required fusion below about L3. But I am wondering if T curves that are not treated usually end up involving the lumbar if you wait until after 50. Who knows.

LindaRacine
03-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Hi...

Yes, there are folks >50 who get fusions short of the sacrum, but it's a relatively small percentage. And, I think the chance of those people ending up needing fusion to the sacrum later on is very high.

--Linda

walkingmom
03-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Well, I am one those 50+ patients with my fusion ending at L3. I don't really think much about the possibility of needing a future surgery for extending the fusion. I am hoping that all is well when I go in for my upcoming two year post-op appointment in May. I do notice that my lower lumbar may ache at times especially if I do a long walk on pavement instead of my usual treadmill. Sometimes sitting in chairs for an extended time may cause the lumbar area to ache too but I figured that would be the case for anyone over 50. So in the meantime, I continue to play tennis 2-3x/wk and on other days I walk or work out on the elliptical. I am also trying to strenghthen my lower core in hopes that will help to preserve those unfused levels. I plan to ask my dr. if hot yoga would be helpful for me. Any other suggestions for protecting those lower unfused levels would be much appreciated.

Donna

Susie*Bee
03-21-2013, 05:48 PM
I am fused T2-L4 and will celebrate 6 years post-op May 4. At my last appointment my doctor said my unfused lower spine looks in really fine shape.

JenniferG
03-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. I've sent her the link so she can follow the thread. I'm off for a few days but thanks in advance to any further replies. I'm sure she'll find this really helpful.

Jen