pain when sitting up straight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pain when sitting up straight

I'm going to try to post my before and after pictures. Also wanted to ask if any of you had problems sitting straight up in a chair. I feel a lot of pain on my side but when I lay down I don't have the pain any more.
    44 years old, right thoracic curve 63 degrees, thoracolumbar major curve 75 degrees, thoracic kyphosis 39 degrees.

Maggie,
    How far are you fused?

Tamena
    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Originally posted by tae_tap View Post
      Maggie,
      How far are you fused?

Tamena
      I'm fused from t4 or t5 to sacrum
      44 years old, right thoracic curve 63 degrees, thoracolumbar major curve 75 degrees, thoracic kyphosis 39 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by maggie6 View Post
        I'm going to try to post my before and after pictures. Also wanted to ask if any of you had problems sitting straight up in a chair. I feel a lot of pain on my side but when I lay down I don't have the pain any more.
        I can't figure out how to post pictures.

Comment

Maggie,
          How far are you fused?

Tamena
          How are you doing by now. If I'm remembering right you had surgery in October.

Comment

How are you doing by now. If I'm remembering right you had surgery in October.
            For me right now, everyday is a slight struggle with pain control. I opted to try SSBOB in order to retain my range of motion and at first thought it was great. But after returning to work and everyday life (other than laying around at home) the pain has returned. I have slowed down on activities other than work and kids, I have also decreased my patient load and hours at work but that has not helped much.

I am now using a tens unit and am hoping it will help with pain control, but so far no luck. My only other option is to do the original reccomendation of my doctor and fuse both curves. However; I want to wait till my body has a full year to recover. I knew going into it that it was a long shot that SSBOB would work for me due to my age and the degree of the curves, but I was persistant to give it a try. If I had not I think I would have always thought "what if it would work" in the back of my mind.

Thanks for asking. (smile)
            Tamena

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

I can't figure out how to post pictures.
              You have to click on the attachment button and upload them through there. Hope it helps.

Tamena

Braced till age 15

Comment

For me right now, everyday is a slight struggle with pain control. I opted to try SSBOB in order to retain my range of motion and at first thought it was great. But after returning to work and everyday life (other than laying around at home) the pain has returned. I have slowed down on activities other than work and kids, I have also decreased my patient load and hours at work but that has not helped much.

I am now using a tens unit and am hoping it will help with pain control, but so far no luck. My only other option is to do the original reccomendation of my doctor and fuse both curves. However; I want to wait till my body has a full year to recover. I knew going into it that it was a long shot that SSBOB would work for me due to my age and the degree of the curves, but I was persistant to give it a try. If I had not I think I would have always thought "what if it would work" in the back of my mind.

Thanks for asking. (smile)
                Tamena
                Im sorry you're still feeling pain. Is there still a chance that with more time it can still improve? I hope so. I will continue to keep you in my prayers.

Comment

Maggie, sitting in a chair in those post op weeks can be difficult. For me, it was a soreness in my tailbone, but it gradually eased. Can't quite remember when, though I'm sure it had resolved by 2 months.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Im sorry you're still feeling pain. Is there still a chance that with more time it can still improve? I hope so. I will continue to keep you in my prayers.
                    Thanks Maggie, all prayers are welcomed. As far as pain getting better, most SSBOB patients are fully released with no restrictions by four months so the outlook is not positive. But there is power in prayer, so only God knows what the outcome will be. Either way I know I am strong enough and have the support for whatever comes my way.

Tamena

Braced till age 15

Comment

Working...
                    X