Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation

Has anyone ever used a TENS unit to help with pain?
    Tamena
    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

yes...did nothing for me...
    used one many years ago...

jess

Comment

I used a TENS unit and found it helpful. Apparently the further apart that you place the pads, the deeper the impulse goes. I need to find my unit, but the only setting that helped was the intense setting which eats batteries, so I bought rechargeable batteries. It especially helped my lower back pain.

I have lots of patches if you need some. My insurance provides them for free and I have saved them over the years. Pads lasted me about 5 uses each.

I also found Lidocaine 5 percent patches mostly helpful.
      Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I used an EMPI TENS unit effectively for years. I would place the 4 electrodes in a 3" square over the spot where I needed pain relief most. The unit used the same 9 volt battery for months but I didn't need to use it all the time.

Even though I was only supposed to use it for a short period at a time per day, when the pain was really bad I used it about 8 to 10 hours a day for three or four days in a row. That effectively numbed the nerves so I had very little pain for weeks at a time, sometimes months. It's important to place the electrodes so the path of current forms an X over the spot. The unit should come with directions and a doctor or physical therapist can explain that further. I didn't take pain medication and relied solely on that TENS unit for pain relief for almost 10 years.
        1973 Age 15 diagnosed with scoliosis but told too old for surgery.
        2001 age 43 told too old for surgery, did physical therapy & traction.
        2001 to 2008 Intermittent use of home traction machine and TENS unit.
        2009 traction no longer effective - physical therapy.
        2011 More physical therapy. 2012 Collapsing scoliosis - MRI before surgery
        At age 53, surgery on October 2nd, 2012 with Dr Hey
        Fusion with titanium rods and bolts from T1 to pelvis.
        Post op x-ray

Comment

according to the dictionary, transcutaneous is like transdermal...
          it means thru the skin...
          i never understood the principal of it for helping deep pain...
          i had a PT with me the first times i used machine...
          my pain was deep...she said she was sorry the machine
          wasn't helping me...
          i gave up on it after about 5 tries...
          i had a doctor tell me that the more structural the problem,
          the less likely something treating nerves will help the pain.
          he said that was a reason epidural injections did little for me...
          maybe that is why Gabapentin didn't help me either.

jess
          Last edited by jrnyc; 03-10-2013, 12:18 AM.

Comment

I went ahead and took the script the ortho gave me to order the unit. I guess it is worth a try to reduce the pain that I have below and above my short fusion. I am refusing the narcotics to help with pain because I do not want to rely upon that. If this doesn't work we may be looking at a revision in the near future.

Tamena

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Really helps

I highly recommend the TENS unit. It blocks the pain impulses. In my case, very helpful, especially when I have to sit for hours.

Comment

I have a tens unit. I used it all of the time when I went back to work after my 1st surgery. It was the only thing that helped me through the day. It also seemed to continue to help after it was off. It has been while{4years}since my lumbar surgery---I will still use the unit when something acts up. I also use rechargable batteries. It is worth the money!
                T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                Right scapulectomy 6/15
                Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                Broken neck 9/28/2018
                Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                Osteotomy

Comment

Susan,
                  How long do the electrodes last? I got four with the unit. Also, do I order more electrodes at the Physical Therapy office that I purchased the unit from or can I get them other places?
                  Tamena

Braced till age 15

Comment

Hi My electrodes last about a week. I get mine through Empi---they send them through the mail. If you want the contact info--message me and I will send it to you. I don't know if the price is different then the PT place,but it may be worth a phone call.
                    Jackie
                    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                    Right scapulectomy 6/15
                    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                    Broken neck 9/28/2018
                    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020