Alive and, well...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alive and, well...

(Title has a deliberately placed comma lol)

I'm 2.5 weeks post-op with Dr. Michael Kelly (works with Lenke and Bidwell)

It was a very good experience.

MK had told me a week prior that there was little to be done at my age (29) and specific condition about the consmetic but was pleased once he opened me up and found out he could correct it from 96 to 52. Standing up, my shoulders are laterally level, which is nice.

My concern.. not a worry.. just a concern (make much sense) is that almost 3 weeks later and I can't function without pain medicine. I've taken hydro/vico/norco for years to ease the pain but it was tolerable pain. If someone neede help, I could help but now, even with the medication I can't always manage to to move myself. For the 5 days I was in the hospital (the doctors were very excited that I bled so little), the weight of a gown felt like the weight of a trench coat.

I just want to know when this finally becomes worth it. I hate sleeping the days away. I've been home nearly 3 weeks but only because I know the days. Time spent awake, it feels like 3 days. I'm very fortunate to have a brother, that I live with, who--unfortunately for him--goes though all of this with me. He keeps my pain meds on schedule barely willing to budge even a few minutes because, of course, doing so can be very dangerous.

Hi there,

glad to hear your surgery went well. You sound like you are right on track at 3 weeks---many here are on pain meds for AT LEAST 6-12 weeks and some/many much longer.

One question, do you get up and walk a few times each day? You should try to take about 3 walks of 5-10 minutes each, every day. Movement will be painful but you will also come to realize it is your friend. It will speed your healing but is hard to do at first. Fresh air and a change of scenery will be good for you, also.

Are you eating enough? Make sure you are eating plenty of calories and lots of high-protein foods. Sometimes the pain meds kill your appetite, but your body needs plenty of food to heal right now.

Take care, let us know how you are doing. Recovery is a long process, but you will start to feel better soon.
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Dr. Kelly has a special place in my heart. Although my time in the hospital is a little foggy, I remember visits from Dr. Kelly. He assisted Dr. Lenke with my surgery and he was also the surgeon I saw at my 6 month check up. Take what you need in the way of pain medications within the limits in order to be able to walk several times a day as the walking promotes fusion. The first month is definitely the toughest. It gradually gets easier!
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Ohhh....you had such a big T curve, and up so high..... But you did it and sound pretty good. Congratulations!

You say that you are sleeping all the time? I had big problems with sleeping in my first few weeks.....

Cant add much since Gayle and Karen’s posts are right on.

Try not to worry, it will become worth it. I know its slow, but you will improve....

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi...

If you've read the forum, you shouldn't be at all surprised that your pain is still significant. Most people are pretty unhappy for at least the first 6-12 weeks. Hang in there. It will almost certainly get better.

As Gayle suggested, you should be up and walking at the very least, 3 times a day. The discomfort of being up an walking in the short term will almost certainly pay off in terms of making you feel better despite your pain.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I agree with Gayle. My doctor said to never eat in bed, so get out of bed and brush your hair and sit up for a while to eat 3 times a day.

You are on the road to a new you, the worst is past you.
            I hope that you start feeling better progressively.
            Best of luck, keep in touch, Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Totally normal. But I agree, walk, rest, eat, drink, start over. It will be a blur for a while, and then you'll begin to feel better!
              age 48
              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Working...
              X