PDA

View Full Version : Alive and, well...

thesteelsage
03-07-2013, 05:32 AM
(Title has a deliberately placed comma lol)

I'm 2.5 weeks post-op with Dr. Michael Kelly (works with Lenke and Bidwell)

It was a very good experience.

MK had told me a week prior that there was little to be done at my age (29) and specific condition about the consmetic but was pleased once he opened me up and found out he could correct it from 96 to 52. Standing up, my shoulders are laterally level, which is nice.

My concern.. not a worry.. just a concern (make much sense) is that almost 3 weeks later and I can't function without pain medicine. I've taken hydro/vico/norco for years to ease the pain but it was tolerable pain. If someone neede help, I could help but now, even with the medication I can't always manage to to move myself. For the 5 days I was in the hospital (the doctors were very excited that I bled so little), the weight of a gown felt like the weight of a trench coat.

I just want to know when this finally becomes worth it. I hate sleeping the days away. I've been home nearly 3 weeks but only because I know the days. Time spent awake, it feels like 3 days. I'm very fortunate to have a brother, that I live with, who--unfortunately for him--goes though all of this with me. He keeps my pain meds on schedule barely willing to budge even a few minutes because, of course, doing so can be very dangerous.

leahdragonfly
03-07-2013, 08:25 AM
Hi there,

glad to hear your surgery went well. You sound like you are right on track at 3 weeks---many here are on pain meds for AT LEAST 6-12 weeks and some/many much longer.

One question, do you get up and walk a few times each day? You should try to take about 3 walks of 5-10 minutes each, every day. Movement will be painful but you will also come to realize it is your friend. It will speed your healing but is hard to do at first. Fresh air and a change of scenery will be good for you, also.

Are you eating enough? Make sure you are eating plenty of calories and lots of high-protein foods. Sometimes the pain meds kill your appetite, but your body needs plenty of food to heal right now.

Take care, let us know how you are doing. Recovery is a long process, but you will start to feel better soon.

golfnut
03-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Dr. Kelly has a special place in my heart. Although my time in the hospital is a little foggy, I remember visits from Dr. Kelly. He assisted Dr. Lenke with my surgery and he was also the surgeon I saw at my 6 month check up. Take what you need in the way of pain medications within the limits in order to be able to walk several times a day as the walking promotes fusion. The first month is definitely the toughest. It gradually gets easier!

titaniumed
03-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Ohhh....you had such a big T curve, and up so high..... But you did it and sound pretty good. Congratulations!

You say that you are sleeping all the time? I had big problems with sleeping in my first few weeks.....

Cant add much since Gayle and Karenís posts are right on.

Try not to worry, it will become worth it. I know its slow, but you will improve....

Ed

LindaRacine
03-07-2013, 10:04 PM
Hi...

If you've read the forum, you shouldn't be at all surprised that your pain is still significant. Most people are pretty unhappy for at least the first 6-12 weeks. Hang in there. It will almost certainly get better.

As Gayle suggested, you should be up and walking at the very least, 3 times a day. The discomfort of being up an walking in the short term will almost certainly pay off in terms of making you feel better despite your pain.

Regards,
Linda

susancook
03-08-2013, 12:50 AM
I agree with Gayle. My doctor said to never eat in bed, so get out of bed and brush your hair and sit up for a while to eat 3 times a day.

You are on the road to a new you, the worst is past you.
I hope that you start feeling better progressively.
Best of luck, keep in touch, Susan

Confusedmom
03-08-2013, 09:02 PM
Totally normal. But I agree, walk, rest, eat, drink, start over. It will be a blur for a while, and then you'll begin to feel better!