Irina’s Surgery – March 5/7, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irina’s Surgery – March 5/7, 2013

It’s hard to believe that my surgery is just nine days away and I wanted to thank everybody for their advice and support. The most difficult part for me was making this decision, and this is when wonderful people on the forum helped me a lot. Now, I just can’t wait to get it over with.

I’ve been surprisingly calm since the decision has been made with just a few rough patches in between, but feeling a little blue today. The house is fully prepared for what is to come and I am running out of things to do. I still have nine days to go, but I am almost done packing for the hospital and even prepared a discharge bag so that my husband doesn’t forget anything. Loss of control will be one of the biggest challenges for me, but I am trying to look at it as a new experience.

I will ask my husband to give you an update, but he’ll probably do it after the second surgery. Or, may be Susan will post for me, will you, Susan? Please, wish me luck and I am looking forward to talking to you from the other side and paying forward to people who are struggling with making this difficult decision.

Irina.
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Irina, best of luck - you are in good hands. I just completed my 2 posterior surgeries - they were almost 10 hours each, from t-3 to s-1. Dr rand at the New England baptist knew he had too much to do in one slot alone, I think the anticipation was way worse than the experience itself - keep in mind that I am only a week out of my second surgery and already home, so my experience is limited. Don't get me wrong, this is a hard procedure on the body but you will get through. Try to do as much relaxation and resistance workouts beforehand - the relaxation I am sure helps with better surgical outcomes, whereas the arm, leg and core strength are really needed to get around.

Sending positive thoughts your way for a successful surgery!

Comment

I will keep you in my prayers. Please keep us informed as soon as you can. Soon you will be on the other side
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Not long now Irina. I hope somehow, the time goes quickly and suddenly you'll be on your way to recovery, with a new spine. Looking forward to hearing how it all goes.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

good luck irina
          Kara
          Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
          Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
          T4-L2
          Before 50T
          After 20T

Comment

Irina--
            Wow, it's almost here! I'll be sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers your way. Can't wait to hear about your successful surgery and recovery! Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I will gladly post for you! You are an amazing person! I was awed by you during our lunch together in California. I must say, that you are a gorgeous woman right now, and after your surgery in your slink dresses after your posterior hump is corrected, you will be even more awesome!

You are in very skilled hands with Dr. Hu. Both of us chose her for very good reasons. She is very skilled and experienced and she will be able to deal with whatever happens. You are strong and young and after surgery....you will be amazing!

For what you cannot control, take a deep cleansing breath, close your eyes and say out loud or to yourself, "Trust". Trust is the bridge between what you can and cannot control and saying it gives you control.

If you need to be busy now, walk or swim or rearrange the bathroom, clean your kitchen shelves, weed the flowers out front, or whatever you need to do to keep busy. I find that walking is painful, but reminds me that the surgery is thr right decision. I have started a journal of my thoughts and fears and find that if I write it down, I face it better. Maybe that will work for you!

I will visit you briefly in the hospital. I will stay no more than 5 minutes or just wave from the door if you want. I will be in Oakland/San Francisco on March 11th [arrive late on th 10th]. I am a Nurse Practitioner and if you would like me to have a shift in the hospital, or spend the night with you, I will gladly do that anytime that week. Please do not hesitate to ask. I only need to attend the pre-surgery class on Monday night and have my brace fitted on Monday afternoon [the 11th]. I am very serious about offering to sit with you or support you at night.

I am praying for you and thinking about you. I cannot wait to see you in your slinky black dress!
              Susan
              Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
              2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
              2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
              2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
              2018: Removal L4,5 screw
              2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Susan,

You’re so sweet! Thank you! I would be glad to see you in the hospital, no need to spend the night with me or pull the shift though. I tell my friends and relatives that I only want immediate family in the hospital because I don’t want to scare anyone. My daughter wanted to bring her boyfriend to the hospital, but I told her that it’s not a good idea because I don’t want this poor boy to run away screaming. But you’re my “twisted sister” and as a nurse, there is probably nothing you haven’t seen, so you’re very welcome to visit. Stay strong and positive, and before you know, your surgery will be behind you too.
                Last edited by Irina; 03-02-2013, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Irina View Post
                  Susan,

You’re so sweat! Thank you! I would be glad to see you in the hospital, no need to spend the night with me or pull the shift though. I tell my friends and relatives that I only want immediate family in the hospital because I don’t want to scare anyone. My daughter wanted to bring her boyfriend to the hospital, but I told her that it’s not a good idea because I don’t want this poor boy to run away screaming. But you’re my “twisted sister” and as a nurse, there is probably nothing you haven’t seen, so you’re very welcome to visit. Stay strong and positive, and before you know, your surgery will be behind you too.
                  The offer is still open if you want to spell you daughter or husband from caring for you in the hsopital. I have done all kinds of nursing in hospitals and clinics. I worked in OB GYN for 23 years as a Nurse Practitioner. I guarantee that you wouldn't scare me.

I agree that the boyfriend shouldn't come to the hospital. Your daughter might marry him someday and he should see you at your best. And, under drugs, who knows what you might say?

I am at peace with my decision to have the surgery and will stay strong. Pain for me has been a great motivator.

Take care of yourself and start eating prunes. Costco has a Kirkland big bag of pitted prunes that are pretty good! And think what they might do for constipation!

HUGS from your Twisted Sister,
                  Susan
                  Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                  2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                  2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                  2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                  2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                  2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Good luck Irina. I will be praying for positive outcomes.
                    Tamena
                    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Irina,

I will be thinking of you! You may have one of these short, amazing recoveries. I hope you do! If it takes a little longer, though, I'm here. Feel free to email anytime. I will understand your feelings. As I get closer to my one-year anniversary, everything is seeming a bit more normal. Best wishes to you for a smooth surgery, straight back and pain-free life!!!

Best,
                      Evelyn
                      age 48
                      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Irina,
                        I'll be thinking of you and wishing you a successful surgery and a smooth recovery. The waiting is the most difficult part, but staying busy helps. I exercised like crazy which seemed to help me mentally as well as physically. We'll be looking forward to your posts. How nice that Susan will post for you!
                        (Susan, I'm glad you are feeling better about your decision for surgery)
                        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                        Rib Hump-GONE!
                        Age-60 at the time of surgery
                        Now 66
                        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Irina

You are ready.....

My final days of waiting were actually a release, where it didn’t matter, I wasn’t really scared, and just wanted to get it over with. This happens when you wait for surgery for a long long time.... I think that you are going to do just fine. Walk around the block if you get anxious. Breathe deep, really deep.

If you want me to come down I will after a few days.....The only problem with that is I would probably make you laugh and laughing hurts in the first few weeks....its something you will get used to.

The head nurse down there really knows her stuff.....I forget her name (Joanne?) but she came and spoke at a meeting.... She has nursed thousands of scolis over decades, and she just really impressed me for someone who not being a scoli understood or understands our feelings. This only comes through working with many patients through the years....You will meet this lady. So big thumbs up for the nursing staff, which is extremely important. You will understand what I’m saying later on after this is all over....(smiley face)

Releasing control isn’t easy for some, especially for someone like me. After they wake you, you realize that you have no control at all. Its at this point that you have to accept this brand new situation which can be especially difficult. This is where the “really” good nurses get separated out....they are going to be the ones that will talk to you, spend time with you, coach you, and build trust. This trust is so important..... Standing up the first time can be scary, it feels so strange, and you feel so tall, and delicate. They had me just standing for the first few days, and I didn’t even know it. When I finally realized that I was going to stand up, they told me that I had been standing a bunch of times over the last few days....wow! Are the heavy meds that strong? Yes, they sure are.

Many people came and visited me and I don’t remember them coming....I told them not to come, they came anyway. I heard about it later.....”I came” “No, you didn’t” “Yes, I did”. Wow! Funny how all the get well cards stacked up in the room.

Through all of this haze, when my mind “did” work, I thought and knew that it was only temporary and that eventually I would heal in time, and come out just fine and you know something, it worked. I always kept my eyes on that prize. Always think ahead, not about now, always ahead. Project your mind into the future, and never look back.

We will be following along here....the national scoliosis foundation cheering department.

Ed
                          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I completely agree with post surgery comments

I am now 5 weeks post op. I don't remember very much at all from my hospital stay. I know my husband came to see me everyday, but I only remember 3 visits and I was in the hospital for 11 days. I only remember sitting up in a chair once, and I only remember that because I read the threads my daughter wrote to keep every updated, which jogged my memory.

the best thing I did for myself was to be sure I was very good at log rolling and did exercises to keep my core and thighs as strong as I could. After my stay in the hospital, I ended up in rehab for another 11 days, so needless to say, I was really a mess. I am now proud to say that I am walking around without any assistance around the house and when I go out I have to use my cane. since I was in bed for so long, I have lost a lot of muscle tone and building that up is very time consuming and sometimes painful, but the fact that I can now go without the cane helps my mental state knowing that I am improving on a daily basis. This is why I say to get as strong as you can before surgery.

I am hoping that when I see the doctor next week, he will let me take my brace off more often. I have a love/hate relationship with that thing. It feels great when I pull it tight first thing after getting up from bed, but when sitting in a chair, I would like to throw it away. Also sitting here at the computer is not comfortable.

Best of luck to you, Irina and Susan.
                            Your other twisted sister.

Libby

Comment

Thank you all for your kind words. Ed, I've met Jo-An at my second appointment with Dr. Hu, but I don't think I'll recognize her. My appointment was on Halloween and she wore a funny costume, so when I see her without that wig, I may not recognize her :-)

We were talking with mom the other day about how lucky we are to be here, in the US, - this surgery was not a possibility in Ukraine and if somebody told me many years ago that I will have a scoliosis surgery at the age of 45 in San Francisco, I would think that that person lost his mind :-) I divide my life in three parts - before immigration, before the surgery and afer the surgery. The second part was much better than the first part, and I am sure that the third one will be the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X