PDA

View Full Version : Surgery Coming Soon!

Spyros
02-15-2013, 03:28 PM
Hi, I m Spyros from topic: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?14018-Alternative-to-surgery-Chiropractor

So i talked to my surgeon and his secretary and they answered my questions I needed to know before surgery.

Q: How many days, before my surgery, i need to get in Hospital for my pre-op 'check'? Who doctor gonna see/examine me?

A: 1 day before surgery. The surgeon, the cardiologist, the anesthetist will see you and also you 'll make some other routine examines.

Q: By which day i need to give blood and how much?

A: You can start from today and we need about 5 'bottles' of blood.

Q: Where will my fusion start and where will end?

A: Your fusion will be from T4 to L2.

Q: Will I get fusion only on my back? or on my side or in front?

A: Your fusion will be only on your back.

Q: What material will you use?

A: The material will be used is Titanium.

Q:What kind of fusion material will i get? where from will be?

A: You will have Autograft fusion material, which it comes only from your spine (NOT from hips). If more fusion material needed, then we will get Allograft fusion material as well.

Q: How many hours my surgery will last?

A: About 6-7 hours.

Q:How many days I will stay in hospital?

A: About 5 days.

Q: When Will I walk again?

A: The day after surgery.

Q: Will I need to put on a brace after surgery?

A: No, you will not need.

Q: When I ll be able to travel back to my home town after surgery? By airplane (1 hour)? By car and ferry (7-8 hours)?

A: Right away when you leave the Hospital you are able to travel to your home town. Only by airplane, cause by car and ferry its a long trip.

Q: Will a Physical Therapist (P.T.) will needed after surgery?

A: Yes, you will need a P.T.

That are some things i needed to know before my surgery.
I dont have a specific date for my surgery, but it will be right after 10th of March (probably on my birthday 12th of March) cause my surgeon is going abroad to be awarded before that.

If another question comes to my mind, I 'll add it here.

JenniferG
02-15-2013, 03:51 PM
Well done. You've asked all those questions that every patient really needs to know.

Not long now, and you'll be on your way to recovery and a new back!

jrnyc
02-16-2013, 01:59 AM
good job with the doctor, Spyros...
you covered the important things...
i believe you will do well.

jess

Spyros
02-22-2013, 03:53 PM
So yup.. My surgery is on my Birthday 12th of March! Its officially booked today.

Also i asked my surgeon's secretary to record my whole surgery/procedure on video. She told me that they usually take some photos during the surgery, but she will ask my surgeon about that. : )

JenniferG
02-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Congratulations on the set date! Not long to wait, so not long till recovery.

I would have loved to have had a video of my surgery, just for myself.

I doubt my surgeon would have agreed to that though. Photos will be good if you can get them.

Good luck Spyros!

golfnut
02-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Good luck with your surgery, Spyros. That's great that you could schedule it so soon.
One thing for certain, is that you will always remember the date of your surgery and can celebrate both on your birthday.

titaniumed
02-23-2013, 11:14 PM
Spyros

In case you have not seen Linda’s site, here it is.
http://www.scoliosislinks.com/

Preparing for surgery
http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm

Post surgical activities
http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PostSurgActivities.htm

Ed

Spyros
02-25-2013, 05:14 AM
Thanks all!

Yes i did know that links and Linda's Site. They are already in my bookmarks! I appreaciate it Ed.

If you have any other usefull links or infos, i'll be very thankfull to tell me!

titaniumed
03-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Spyros

Your probably flying to Athens......but wanted to wish you the best with your surgery on Tuesday.

Post when you can. We are here.

Ed

JenniferG
03-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Spyros, best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery. We'll be waiting to hear!

mabeckoff
03-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Best wishes for a surgery that goes well. Hope to hear from you soon from the other side

Spyros
03-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Thank you guys you remembered me! Appreciate it!

Yes.. I'm already in Athens 4 days now. Tomorrow 9am (8 hours more) I'm getting in Hospital to do my pre-op tests/check ups. I've been already told that I need to stay the whole day/night before my surgery, so as they prepare me and get me ready for the operation.

So tomorrow night or during the day, if I find some time, I'll post you what i m getting though or how my pre-op day was!

I'll try to update my situation!

Good Night!

JenniferG
03-10-2013, 10:57 PM
You sound good Spyros, and positive! And almost unafraid. I hope that is the case! Not long now and it will be over and you'll be taller and straighter and facing a brighter future.

jrnyc
03-11-2013, 12:00 AM
hi Spyros
best wishes for a smooth procedure and an uneventful recovery...
i hope it leads to a straight, strong and pain free spine, and a life
without limitations...
be thinking of you this week and hoping all goes well...

jess...& Sparky

kennedy
03-11-2013, 12:14 AM
spyros good luck

Spyros
03-11-2013, 04:41 AM
So, Its 10:40 am, I'm in hospital and I already have made some check ups:

- x-ray
- blood
- cardiogram and talk to my cardiology.

I'm still waiting for my surgeon.

Spyros
03-11-2013, 06:57 AM
Anesthetist just examined me. And asked me how many "bottles" of blood i have given already.. He told me he may need 10 "bottles" just in case of bleeding.

My surgeon and his assistant just came in and i'm waiting to see them in a min.

Up to now all my examines are very good!

tae_tap
03-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Spyros,

Good luck with everything. Many will be praying and rooting you on from a far. It can be a scarry and exciting time.

Tamena

JuliaAnn
03-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Thank you for the updates. I'm keeping you in prayer, Spyros. You are very strong.

JenniferG
03-11-2013, 05:55 PM
I agree, you are very strong. Thinking of you Spyros!

Doodles
03-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Spyros--
Very best of luck to you with your surgery. Many positive thoughts and prayers will go in with you to surgery! Janet

Spyros
03-12-2013, 12:55 AM
Good morning guys! Its 6:40 am and my nurses already gave me 2 sedative pills (1 last night and 1 now) they also put me in a natural serum.. They also gave me some "clothes" to put on before i m going in.. Damn i feel so g@y! Yesterday night i also mesured my height and weight. 1.81m and 63 kilos.

In a half of hour I'm going in!!!! Yup. Thats all!

kennedy
03-12-2013, 01:24 AM
spyros good luck

JenniferG
03-12-2013, 05:11 AM
<laughing here>

You must take the record for posting so close to surgery, Spyros. Thinking of you and hoping everything's going perfectly.

Spyros
03-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Hi its 4:00 am. The first day gone and I'm in a lot of pain the whole day.

The surgery's duration was 6 and a half hours from T5 to L2 or L3 (I dont remember cause i was so drugged). I'll ask him tomorrow again.

The surgery, as my surgeon said, has very good results.

I didn't lost so much blood. I needed 3 "bottles" of blood and 1 "bottle" of plasma and some of my blood back.

One of the bigest problem i have is that i don't have a button to free morfine into my body whenever i need. For pain killer they do vacum in my back hip or i have a smal serum. It sucks because i need a big period of time to retake them.

After surgey i didn't have to go to a ICU room, and i got right away back on my normal room.

And finaly i gain 5cm height.. Before surgery i was 1.80 and now 1.85!

Pooka1
03-12-2013, 11:24 PM
Congratulations Spyros! Good work. Stay positive.

Sharon

JenniferG
03-12-2013, 11:42 PM
It's great to hear it's over and it was successful. Feel for you about the pain, that's horrible, and I hope they can get it under control quickly. Ask for a higher dose if it's not working, you need to get it under control. You will get through this and be so much better for it, Spyros! Again, I'm amazed at how quickly you're online. And not too much gibberish either! <grinning>

kennedy
03-13-2013, 12:45 AM
spyros im really glad your doing well
your fusion is almost the same levels as mine. mine is T4-L2

Spyros
03-13-2013, 07:26 AM
An hour ago i made my first sitting and my first steps. It was really really painfull. I felt like i was carrying a bag with irons on my back.. After my first steps they change my cover and there while i was sitting, I felt really dizzy and vomiting. Then right away they lay me down on bed again.

The whole situation was very strange and dificult for me.

p.s. My operation was from T5 and to L2.

tae_tap
03-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Spryos,

I can not believe you are up and able to post. You are a strong patient. Keep up the good work! Everyday will hopefully get a little easier.

Tamena

tampamom
03-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Just read through your thread here and wanted to say how impressed and thankful for everything you have shared. Praying for a speedy recovery for you, you will get there.

Stay strong!

-C

JenniferG
03-13-2013, 06:04 PM
I wonder if you need more blood? I'm thankful that I was given more, when I was too dizzy to walk, it made a big difference to how I felt by the next day.

Remember that every day you will have tiny improvements. Sleep as much as you can and the healing will just happen.

I remember the "backpack" feeling. It passes, Spyros. You're probably carrying a lot of swelling in your back in these early days.

You've had a bad day but don't despair - it will get much better. Quickly, I hope.

golfnut
03-13-2013, 07:28 PM
I think you are amazing to be posting, but we are happy to hear from. You will be amazed how each week gets better and better.

titaniumed
03-13-2013, 08:30 PM
The whole situation was very strange and dificult for me.

It is strange.....but you will adapt in time. Remember that your body has just had a huge shock and major surgery takes time to heal.....take things one day at a time....

Walking is a good thing....walking short amounts often will help with everything.

Ed

susancook
03-13-2013, 08:51 PM
You are an amazing guy! I am sure that each day will get a little bit better! I cannot believe that you posted the day after surgery!!!!! I am sure that you are a strong guy and that when your body adjusts to all that has happened, you'll be feeling so much better!
Sending good thoughts your way!
Susan

jrnyc
03-13-2013, 10:14 PM
hi Spyros
hope you feel better every day...of course you hurt...they cut
you open and pulled your body this way and that.... major shocks to system!
and i really hope they do more to relieve your pain...
you are amazing...lots of guts and courage!
the pain right after these surgeries seems to be universal...
know and believe it will get less as the days pass...
keeping you in thoughts and prayers...

jess...& Sparky

Confusedmom
03-14-2013, 04:51 AM
Spyros,

Congrats on your quick progress! You will get through this very difficult period before you know it. Enjoy your new, straight back and new-found height!

Evelyn

Spyros
03-16-2013, 12:42 PM
I need your experience and thoughts plz..

Its still 5th day and i m in lot of pain! Almost most of the time i m laying in the hospital's bed.

When i sit and I m ready to stand up and walk i feel all the time dizzy and i always vomit. Im worried about that

Also when i stand my nerves behind my neck pulling down and cause huge headache.

Even that i stand for 3-4 times per day but i feel the same.

rohrer01
03-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Spyros,
I haven't had surgery, but I think you should tell your doctor about your headaches. I hope you feel better soon!

JenniferG
03-16-2013, 04:59 PM
It sounds like they haven't got your pain under control. When my pain was under control, I felt nothing. The fact you're feeling nerves pulling, sounds to me like you need more pain killers. I'm sorry you're having all this pain. I also recommend you speak to your doctor. Get that pain under control and you will feel much better. It's the doctor's and the hospital's job, to ensure you don't have this kind of pain.

If your pain was under control you wouldn't be feeling headaches, but the fact you are, tells me your doctor should know. For all I know, I may have had headaches too, but the painkillers should knock out the pain.

It's still very early days and many of us still have pain at this stage. It sometimes takes a while to get the pain under control. Thinking of you and sending hugs from Australia.

leahdragonfly
03-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Hi Spyros,

I agree with the advice above that your pain is not well-controlled. You have no need to experience this much pain right now, and it is not good for your healing to suffer so much pain.

I would make sure your doctor knows about the headaches. You should ask if you had any dural tear. I suffered extreme headaches daily for 4 weeks straight after my surgery, starting at around one week post-op. It ended up being from severe muscular tension in my neck. I found a wonderful physical therapist who relieved the tension and the headaches went away immediately.

I would also ask your doctor to check a blood count. It really sounds like you need more blood, what with the dizziness and vomiting. Or it could be due to the pain medicine.

Hang in there, get that pain under control, try to drink plenty of fluids, and soon you will turn the first corner.

maggie6
03-16-2013, 10:47 PM
I'm also sorry to hear about your pain. Have you spoke to your surgon yet. Hopefully your pain will be releaved soon. My prayers go out to you.

loves to skate
03-19-2013, 01:21 PM
I am hoping you are getting your pain under control.
Sally

Irina
03-25-2013, 06:37 AM
Hi Spyros,

How are you doing? Hope doctors got your pain under control and you are back home, at a beautiful island of Corfu. I''ve been to this island and several others - Greece is such a beautiful country!