Facial Swelling post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facial Swelling post-op

I know- this sounds so vain and trivial - but how much facial swelling did everyone experience post-op?

I realize you are lying face down - they have cushioned support but still, to lie in one position for any length of time will cause pressure ulcers. and subsequent swelling when the pressure is removed. Yikes! yet, when I look at some blogs and see the post-op photos, no one really looked edematous or swollen in their face. I can imagine myself- swollen so much that my eyes are squinting... <sigh> true/ not true? just one extra fear I have, of this surgery... thx for sharing ! Jamie
    57 years old.
    thoracic curve 68 degrees
    lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
    Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
    Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
    THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Hi Jamie,

I had facial swelling. I don't know what I looked like, nobody told me, LOL. But I woke up in ICU at about 4.30pm and I couldn't actually open my eyes until around 8am the next morning. I didn't care. I just wanted to sleep.

Actually, I just asked my partner. I looked like a soccer ball. He said when he arrived next day he was surprised to see the swelling had all gone down. My surgery was about 8 - 8.5 hours.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

My surgery lasted 10hrs and I don't remember my face feeling swollen but when my husband came to see me an hour after my surgery he said I did look a little swollen.
      Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Comment

I was told that I was unrecognizable. I could have cared less. The swelling was gone in a day or two.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Swelling

After three days of surgery, and the third, being a difficult ten hour surgery, I understand my face was not badly swollen, but my hand and legs looked like they belonged to the Michelene (sp?) man. The swelling in my hands went down quicker than my legs. I cannot tell you how long it. Took for the swelling to go down due to the drug induced loss of memory.

Comment

My husband said my face was "massive" and you should "expect to look like a balloon." But it was significantly improved 24 hours later and close to normal by the time I checked out of the hospital.
            age 48
            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

I had prepared my husband that my face would probably be swollen following surgery. I know this is hard to believe but I don't think I ever asked him until just this minute after reading your post. Like someone else said, I could have cared less. He said that it was definitely swollen, but looked normal by the second day.
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

My face wasn't very swollen at all and my actual "surgery time" (not prep or anything) was 8 hours. I don't remember what kind of operating table it is called (Thompson?), but the kind that opens up to allow your stomach, etc., to hang free rather than be pushed against the table, and also if your face is positioned some ways, helps prevents some of the swelling. At least that is what I thought. I know after reading the Wolpert book I had prepared my hubby and family for the worst...
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I wouldn’t worry about any swelling, eventually it goes down.

This is probably what you will be laying on.....notice all the foam,(tempurpedic) and of course fully adjustable. Now they need to improve the hospital beds.....that’s another subject.

http://www.mizuhosi.com/products/pat...ent-care-kits/

http://www.mizuhosi.com/products/mod...l-surgery-top/

Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

geez .....

<gulp>

It is as I feared .... yikes.

You know, when I had an MRI for my breast, I had to lie face down for 45 mins and my face and neck were supported in a padded horse- shoe shaped brace - yet I was aching and ready to get out of that within 10 mins. That's what precipitated this question - it made me wonder about lying face down for a minimum of 8 hrs of scoli surgery would do to me.

I know I'll be on narcotics, and hopefully not remember but oh how i wish the Operating room had pulsating pressure devices that would alternate the pressure and prevent some of the rebound edema. <sigh> Thanks to all who shared- I know it is vain, I know this is trivial compared to the scoli surgery ... but when you are deformed anyway (scoliosis) with other medical issues/ deformities too ... well I just worry how much my husband can take. I feel he got a raw deal anyway - marrying me, I'm not physically active, I can't do many things with him, I can't even sit thru a movie because of the back pain, and now to have to wake up looking like the wife of the Michelin man... oh well, thank \s for sharing your experiences, it is better to know what to expect nd to be prepared rather than be shocked.. peace, Jamie in TX
                    57 years old.
                    Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
                    Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>

Comment

skin breakdown

OK but did anyone actually get skin breakdown on their face ? it's the pressure on the face that causes the rebound edema, but it can also cause skin breakdown- think bedsore or pressure ulcer. That's the same process that occurs as your face is pressed against the padded support during surgery .... I don't know why these details worry me so much, I just worry that i will look so repulsive when I am post op... thx for letting me vent my insecurities here ...
                      57 years old.

Comment

TiEd....i swear it took a minute to figure out which end was for where....
                        good you showed a pic of someone ON the table...
                        never occurred to me the patient's body wouldn't be totally flat...
                        pix were a surprise to me.

jess

Comment

Don't worry Jamie, different things concern different patients. As for the facial swelling, it seems to differ for each patient so you might not be bad at all. But if you warn your husband, and let him know it goes down very quickly (overnight for me) he can be prepared. And you know what? I think he'll just be so relieved the surgery's over and you're on your way to recovery, the swelling won't matter to him.

I've never heard of anybody having anything more than facial swelling, no skin problems.
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Dr. Lenke has some patients (including me) wear "halos." I don't know exactly what it is because I was never awake with it, but it holds your head in such a way as to relieve pressure on your eyes. Maybe this helps some with the swelling and sores? I did not get any facial sores that I can remember.

I know what you mean about sometimes feeling your spouse got a physically inactive partner. But you (and he) may be pleased that surgery may actually enable you to be more active. Maybe you'll be able to sit through a movie, etc., after you have recovered.

Best wishes,
                            Evelyn
                            age 48
                            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

The "halo" traction that Dr. Lenke also used on me 6 months ago was not to prevent eye pressure problems but to put tension on the spine to get a better correction in the spine. I had some facial swelling but it was expected and no big deal. It resolved in a day or two.
                              Jane

Comment

Working...
                              X