PDA

View Full Version : abdomen bigger

retired Mom
02-14-2013, 12:14 PM
Has anyone had a bigger abdomen than when they had surgery. It seems mine is bigger and hard.

briarrose
02-14-2013, 08:30 PM
I think I can relate. My waist is wider than it was pre-op and my lower back is harder. My family doctor often tells me how I have such strong abdominal muscles. She thinks it's from the surgery - I've had to adjust my movements to compensate for the fusion and this has caused more abdominal muscle? Maybe you have something similar.

Shell

mbeckett
03-20-2013, 08:11 PM
I'm curious as to when you had your surgery? I'm almost 10 months post-op and am still struggling with the wider and larger abdomen. I can't fit in some of my suit skirts and the newest slacks I bought months prior to surgery, don't fit the same. Fortunately I have had enough clothing that does fit but I keep saying each weekend that I need to go out and buy a few new pieces. Overall I am happy with my new appearance but the larger and wider abdomen has been a little hard to understand. Before surgery I was crooked but apparently had more of a waist line no matter how small that was compared to what I have now. It's really odd don't you think? I'll have to make a note to ask the surgeon why this is next time I see him. If anyone gets an answer as to why this is, please let us know.

retired Mom
03-24-2013, 12:11 PM
I had surgery October 25th. I find to that my clothes dont fit right. I have not heard from anyone one the forum about this.

jrnyc
03-24-2013, 02:42 PM
i have seen this repeatedly on forum...
if you type into search something like "big stomach post op"
you will find many threads on this same subject....

i am wondering whether those who had anterior and posterior
approaches have it happen more vs those who had posterior only...
but that is just my own wondering...

jess

JuliaAnn
03-24-2013, 06:40 PM
I too had an enlarged abdomen and even with a lot of toning previous to surgery, knew there was something more going on. Several times during the last 5 months of post-op, I have gone off all pain meds, including Tylenol. Within two or three days, my abdomen completely softened and shrunk down to the right size. Stopping the pain medication meant no more constipation and also less water retention. So I figured the swelling was due to pain meds. That may have been just me but it was a consistent response.

maggie6
03-29-2013, 07:20 PM
My lower abdomen feels tight/ hard when I am standing but when lying down abdomen feels soft. Slight bloating. I havent tried on jeans yet because my skin feels so sensitive.

susancook
04-01-2013, 12:54 AM
I am 8 days postop and look 5 months pregnant.
Susan

maggie6
04-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Hi susan. Have you ask your surgeon about your stomach? I couldn't tilt my head down to see my stomach but could feel the tightness and bloated feeling. I kept thinking it was constipation but it ended up being my bladder. It wasn't emptying enough.