Will it always feel like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will it always feel like this?

I recently read a post-op scoliosis pt say "It feels lile I have a 2x4 nailed to my back"...Yeah, that's it!!! A brief history, 1st (supposed to be only) surgery on 3-22-12, with 2 rods and screws T3 to L3. 3 wks later, had to redo and go down to sacrum (L3 wasn't holding up)...ok, went home, CONSTANT burning at T3 area, then slowly i can't walk without collapsing in a heap...STOP!!! All this time Im telling my surgeon but he thought i might be taking too many pain pills...8-5-12 to the ER, MRI done that eve., emergency surg done next day=HUGE infection, all hardware replaced, took out a liter of "stuff" yuck! ok, 10 days later I go home on IV antibiotics and now am p.o. antibiotics, able to walk but now feel like 2x4 nailed to back!! Really feels bad. I guess he put a piece of "cement" near sacrum, this emits antibiotics?...feels really HEAVY like wearing a diaper, full of cement. OK, nuff complaining...can anyone relate?
    Thanks for reading...oh yeah, I'm a 51 yr old female, developed idiopathic scoliosis at 47yr, WAS walking the dogs everyday of the year for miles and working full-time midnites as a nurse with no problems...now, not so much.
    Sincerely,
    Laura

Welcome, Laura.
    I haven't had surgery, so I know I'm not the one you asked to speak to. I just wanted you to feel welcome and find out a little bit more about your circumstances. First, you went through a LOT. I'm sorry this happened to you. For those of us that haven't had surgery, at least for me, I like to know ahead of time what can go wrong. Some people not so much. So, can I ask how large your curve was? Were you in pain before surgery? Did your original doctor do the last revision with the infection? Finally, this device placed in your back, the "cement", is it meant to dissolve over time after all of the antibiotics are released? I really hope this is the case for you. I've been on the forum for quite a while, now, and have never heard of this cement before. Sorry for all of the questions. Anyway, I hope you get to feeling better really soon. I can only imagine that it takes some time to get used to the new feel of your back.

Take Care.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Stiff Back

Hi Laura!

My surgery is no where near as extensive as yours was but I do have that board-nailed-to-back feeling. Probably not quite the same thing as you but I am also frustrated by it. Sometimes the muscles around the rods do what I call "seize up" where things get super tight and hurt. This only lasts seconds but can sometimes come on suddenly, taking my breath away. I've been to my surgeon to have him check everything and make sure all is well. It is.

Hopefully your situation will get better over time. You've been through a LOT!
      50 years old!!!!!
      Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
      Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
      Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
      Surgery 07/11/2011
      Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

I had surgery mid-March last year, T4-S1. No revisions, but I have the stiffness you describe. Feels like a metal corset to me. I will say that as time goes on I get more used to it. I would think the revision would sort of start the clock over for you, and it could be until next August that you are starting to feel "normal" (more or less). Don't know about the antibiotic implant. I have heard of spinal cement that is used to heal fractures. Are you sure it wasn't BMP he used? That is a biotech product that aids fusion by promoting bone growth. My guess is it will just take time to feel better.

Best wishes,
        Evelyn
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Working...
        X