Leg swelling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leg swelling

Gretchen had the fusion from T11 to the sacrum in two stages, Nov. 12 for anterior and Dec. 7 for posterior. She had had the heart rhythm problem after the first stage and a large amount of fluid retention. After the second stage she had some thigh pain and was given Neurontin at a fairly low dose. At the time of discharge we noticed her left foot and lower leg had more swelling than her right. When she went in for her 6 week check the surgeon said it was common and would go away with time. We stopped the Neurontin as that is a possible side effect and she no longer needed it. She can control the swelling somewhat by lying in bed with her legs elevated and by wearing those uncomfortable compression stockings. But she is getting somewhat down because of it. She is doing pretty well otherwise and walking well. Down to about 2 pain pills (Norco) a day.

The question is, is the leg swelling common?

Thanks, Dick

I seem to recall Linda Racine, the moderator, had leg swelling after her revision surgery. Maybe you could send her a private message and ask about it?

Best wishes,
    Evelyn
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

My leg swelling was caused by lymphedema. A LOT!! of people have swollen legs after these surgeries. I'm not sure what percentage of them have lymphedema. I think most resolve over time. (Mine have not resolved at 2 years postop.)
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thank you, she was expecting alot of complications but not that one. We were thinking it could be some compression of the veins but some obstruction of the lymph channels makes sense too. Hopefully hers and yours will go away. Dick

Comment

Working...
        X