Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 months, pinching pain in hips. Normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 months, pinching pain in hips. Normal?

Hi all,

Question of the day. I have been more active lately, walking faster and longer, squatting more and sleeping on my side more. Occasionally--maybe once every day or two--I get these pinching pains in my butt/hip area. I guess along the top of each side of my rear would be the real place. They are kind of sharp, but go away quickly. Is this nerves waking up? Screws being tested? What? I will ask Dr. Lenke in March, but you know I am too impatient to wait that long for answers.

Thanks!
    Evelyn
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Hip, low back pain

Hi Evelyn!

I am about 18 months post op and have had sharp, shooting, burning pains on my low left side right above the buttocks. It just started about a month ago. I've been very active for about a year now. I did see my surgeon last week due to various, burning, stabbing and tight sensations all over my back, in the fused as well as unfused parts and x-rays showed everything to be just fine. My surgeon chalked it up to continuing muscle and nerve healing.

He suggested massage therapy which I do twice a month for about a year now. I've got a fantastic massage therapist here in Atlanta.

Let us know what your surgeon says. In the meantime, I wouldn't worry about it.
    50 years old!!!!!
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
    Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
    Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
    Surgery 07/11/2011
    Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

I too have discomfort in the hip/pelvic area. My doctor feels it is normal and said that it could take time for the kink to leave. He suggested swimming to help.

Tamena
      Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

why wait for March's apptmt to ask?

He must have nurses and/or nurse practitioner like I have Bernie with Dr Bridwell.

My hips hurt when touched. My entire butt hurts when touched. My daughter applying lotion on the first week noticed that my butt cheeks were like stiff glued together. I could not see but she called her sister to look, hey sis, they don't move.

I let them have the fun what the heck. It was not affecting me but only when I am sitting too long.

I look at myself and I see wider shoulders than hip area. Is this normal? I am fused T11 to sacrum. With an uneven number of screws, 3 on the right could not be attached due to lack of space ... whatever that means in terms of consequenses.

I am feeling better each day. I hate all the restrictions my husband put on me !!! no driving, no shopping...
        Gardenia
        Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
        pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
        Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
        T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Comment

Gardenia,

I think it is sweet that he has put you on restrictions and is willing to take care of you. : -) But, I do understand the need to return to a normal life. I was itching to get back to work and see my own patients. I am glad you are doing better.

Tamena
          Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
            Hi all,

Question of the day. I have been more active lately, walking faster and longer, squatting more and sleeping on my side more. Occasionally--maybe once every day or two--I get these pinching pains in my butt/hip area. I guess along the top of each side of my rear would be the real place. They are kind of sharp, but go away quickly. Is this nerves waking up? Screws being tested? What? I will ask Dr. Lenke in March, but you know I am too impatient to wait that long for answers.

Thanks!
            Evelyn
            I am not sure the exact location of your pain, but it sounds a lot like my SI joint pain that I get (but mine comes with sitting upright for too long, arching my back, and bending forward (when the dr. tells me to).) I would call Angie, Dr. Lenke's nurse, and just mention it to see what she thinks...I even called for a probably stupid reason today...I have noticed (4 months post-op)that I can see some of the screws under my skin and feel them and just wanted to see if there is ANYTHING that I can do to start working on my muscles in my back (to try and "hide" the screws) or if it's too soon. The nurses are here to help us with even the most silly questions!

When is your March appointment? I have my 6 month post-op appointment on March 14th at 9:45 am.

Hannah

Comment

Hey Evelyn,

That's funny, I just got on to look up hip pain and saw your post. Today I started to have pain in my right hip , but in the front, about 2 inches below my hip bone. More of a burning , aching pain. Not enough to put me down but enough for me to say Hey, what's up?

I've been taking Aleve and Ibuprofen which helps somewhat but not completely. I thought maybe it was my pelvic screw acting up.

The weather here has been crazy so maybe I can forecast the weather with my joints now !

The pain you describe sounds familiar. It may be healing pain. As you increase your activity and as your muscles and joints get used to it, they might send out new pain signals. You will continue to feel better as time goes on. I can't believe your surgery was almost a year ago!
              May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Working...
              X