PDA

View Full Version : Having my first surgery in 3 days on 01/22/13

life
01-18-2013, 09:34 PM
I am having a lower back surgery and counting down on the days left. This will be my first back surgery and I'm hoping that this will relieve my debilitating, disabling and severe pain that I have had for a long time. My back pain has literally prevented me from doing everything and I use to be an athlete. I know that there will be one more surgery in the future due to the severity of my scoliosis curvature but at least this surgery will relieve me from my chronic pain so that I can hopefully have a normal pain free life again. I have gone through some pre-ops process, encountered some unexpected complications but I have been cleared for the surgery today and I am very happy. I have been very strong so far and doing everything not to think about it but now as I count down the days, I am a little bit nervous since this is my first surgery.

I am on my way to standing and walking without needing a support again. on my way to pain free.

kennedy
01-18-2013, 09:50 PM
Good luck with your surgery

JenniferG
01-18-2013, 11:02 PM
Believe me, nearly all of us are nervous. Just wanted to wish you all the very best for a great outcome and a smooth recovery.

life
01-19-2013, 10:27 AM
Good luck with your surgery

Thank you.

Susie*Bee
01-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Dear life-- just about everyone is anxious, mixed with a little excitement too, just prior to their surgery. It's a HUGE step in your life and recovery is hard work, but worth it. We'll be rooting for you! Do you have someone who can post on here and let us know how you're doing after your surgery? Take care-- I'll be praying for you. Hugs, Susie

golfnut
01-19-2013, 02:06 PM
You sound like a really strong person. Trust me, I don't think anyone can honestly say they weren't nervous. Let us know how you aren doing as soon as you can. Best of luck!

mabeckoff
01-19-2013, 04:55 PM
Hope all goes well. I will keep you in my prayers

JuliaAnn
01-20-2013, 07:51 AM
I'm thinking of you as your surgery date gets closer. I had never had surgery before my spine surgery so I had no idea what to expect at all. Even though the surgery was major, fused from T1 to pelvis with pelvic fixation, I was surprised when I woke up and smiled when I saw my new x-ray with my new straight spine. The pain of recovery is pretty intense for the first month or so but then you'll be super glad you had the surgery because there will be no more "injury pain" as I call it, only "healing pain". That's great that you are strong and fit going into your surgery. That helps with a speedy recovery. I'm excited for you!
Stay strong and optimistic and you will do very well.

titaniumed
01-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Just wanted to wish you the best with your surgery....

You hang in there, its going to be ok.

Post when you can...

Ed

jackieg412
01-20-2013, 04:03 PM
My best wishes are sent to you! I pray for an easy recovery for you. Jackie

maggie6
01-20-2013, 06:47 PM
Good luck with your surgery. Mine has been moved up again to February 18th. I too am nervous but
reading the posts on this forum have been very helpful to me.

tae_tap
01-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Wanted to say I will be praying for you and a quick recovery.
Tamena

life
01-28-2013, 04:19 PM
thankyou every one for all your support.

just an update. I am out of surgery and going through the recovery. the surgery went well. I have been transfer to a rehab center because I cant help myself on anything yet. I am in so much pain and some of the medications all too strong for my stomach. I am getting better.

golfnut
01-28-2013, 06:38 PM
I am amazed you can post so soon. I'm glad the surgery went well. The pain meds are extremely tough on the stomach. Best of luck for a smooth recovery.

susancook
01-28-2013, 08:20 PM
Your name says it all, "life". I hope that you are getting better. You sound like you are in great health that I am sure that you will do well. Attack rehab with the same self-discipline that you used to be an athlete.
Susan

jrnyc
01-28-2013, 09:12 PM
so sorry you are in such pain...
you might ask the doctors for something to soothe
your stomach...there are a few meds that might help.
hope the pain eases soon!

jess