Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HYPNOSIS for surgery preparation to decrease anxiety and pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HYPNOSIS for surgery preparation to decrease anxiety and pain?

I found a thread by Lynnette about hypnosis and surgical preparation. I need all the help that I can get, so will start hypnotherapy and learn self hypnosis. I need tools to deal with stress and pain associated with surgery. I found the prev thread interesting, but nobody responded that they had tried hypnosis.

Any experience w/ hypnosis and self hypnosis before surgery?

Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

I asked about hypnosis at the New England Baptist because Peggy Huddleston has done some of her research there and the staff is familiar with her process. The nurse commented that for patients who do her program, "everything just seems to go smoother" - which is enough motivation for me! I bought Peggy's book but unfortunately I can't stand her voice, totally has the opposite effect for me. Luckily there is a reputable hypnotherapist at another hospital here so I went to him for a private session. Surprising that no one else has commented on this - hypno-birthing was a hot topic recently in blogging circles, so I thought hypnosis had gone more mainstream.

Comment

A friend gave me this book and I tried to have an open mind, I really did... I didn't listen to the CD yet, but pushed myself thru may be 30-50 pages of the book. When I started reading Peggy's advices to talk to the part of the body that is in pain and ask questions like: "Back, what are feeling? What COLOR is your feeling?" or ask your friends to wrap you in a pink blanket of love and take turns wrapping you while you're in a surgery - that was it. Sorry, but I felt like I was in a mental institution reading that. Might work for other people, but I am probably too pragmatic and down to earth to ask my back about the color of its pain. That's just my opinion - hope I didn't offend anybody who liked the book and found it useful.
      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

I agree that I was surprised that no one has commented. The previous poster also did not have anyone else who had tried it. I have had limited experience with hypnosis, but it seemed like a possible way to control some of the pain and anxiety. I'm hoping that the hypnosis pre-op will also help me to get more in tune with having the surgery and improve my attitude. I'm in a "I feel bad for myself because of what I am going to lose" phase. Sort of a self pity party [forget that I almost didn't make it to the car today because my R thigh was hurting so much [L4 stenosis] so, it appears that I will probably be gaining much more than losing! My frist session is this week. My therapist recommended a tape: A tape in a series, the one on surgery by Belleruth Naperstak. She said that it was available on Amazon and maybe a local store in Portland. I need all of the help that I can get!

I'll post on the hyponosis. I hope to learn self hypnosis. Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

hi Irina
          sending you a PM

jess...& Sparky

Comment

Originally posted by Irina View Post
            A friend gave me this book and I tried to have an open mind, I really did... I didn't listen to the CD yet, but pushed myself thru may be 30-50 pages of the book. When I started reading Peggy's advices to talk to the part of the body that is in pain and ask questions like: "Back, what are feeling? What COLOR is your feeling?" or ask your friends to wrap you in a pink blanket of love and take turns wrapping you while you're in a surgery - that was it. Sorry, but I felt like I was in a mental institution reading that. Might work for other people, but I am probably too pragmatic and down to earth to ask my back about the color of its pain. That's just my opinion - hope I didn't offend anybody who liked the book and found it useful.
            Oh, I hope that's not what it is like! Susan: Today my back feels awful and like the color black and hurtful....maybe I better not do the book that you have.

Comment

Working...
            X