Could use you good vibes tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could use you good vibes tomorrow

Seeing my surgeon (Dr DeWald in Chicago) tomorrow. I have a list of questions three miles long to ask him. He'll be shocked I'm finally considering surgery. Every year he suggests it and every year I say, unequivocally: NO. this will be a very different appointment.

The hardest part of my annual appointments with this surgeon is seeing my new X-rays. When he pulls up the X-rays on the computer screen, my heart leaps into my throat...I'm always nervous to hear about the changes in my curvature. Luckily, my husband always comes with me for moral support.

Two weeks ago, I would have told you I'm ready to take the plunge and get fused...now, I'm back to wavering. Wondering if I can wait a couple more years so I can work and put money away as I will probably lose my job after the fusion.

I'm so grateful for everyone's input. Thanks for the support!

i will be thinking of you tomorrow and trying to send you mental support...
    i, too, haven't had surgery...yet...despite years of surgeons telling me to
    go ahead with it...
    i will be sending you positive messages across the miles and keep
    my fingers crossed for you....
    hope you get all your questions answered and leave the office feeling
    good and hopeful.

jess...& Sparky

Comment

I hope your appointment goes well "today". I'm getting a referral to my surgeon, again. I don't know what this will bring for me, but I'm at the point where if he says he'll do it, I think I will. So, be brave. You have a good support system here.

((((HUGS))))
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

You will be fine, because you have been to this doctor before and you feel comfortable. When he pulls up the xrays, take a deep breath and say, "Tell me straight what it says, I can handle it", or some comment showing the confidence that you don't have [you don't know me except through emails, but that was an attempt to be funny...]. Seriously, it must be difficult going back and hearing the same drill: MD shows you xrays that show worsening curve, he wants you to have surgery and you don't want to have surgery.

Your question of whether to postpone surgery so you can save more money and have your career for a few more years is a difficult dilemma. I would probably ask your MD what would he predict that you would be like in 2-4 years while you continue to work? What difference would 2-4 years make on having the surgery? Does he think that you could do your job after surgery?

Your doctor doesn't really know what your pain will be like in 2-4 years, but you could ask him. How much pain are you in now and can you continue to do your job with increasing pain? How much money do you need to save? Off the top, if you can still work and have quality of life and if your MD doesn't think that delaying surgery would be a skeletal disaster, then you could postpone surgery....or at least do until the pain becomes too much to do your job and your quality of life is in the toilet. That advice will cost you 2 cents......

Whatever you decide, it will be the right decision. HUGS, Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I'll send good vibes your way. It is really difficult to look at our x-rays. I never felt truly deformed (although it was noticeable) and hate that word, however, the x-rays made it hard to deny & so I detested them! Now that I have "before" and "after" x-rays, I don't mind at all looking at the "before" knowing I made the right decision. Best of luck in whatever you decide. What is your age?
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Thinking of you and wondering how your appointment went... It IS such a difficult decision.
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

How did your appointment go? Hope that you're OK.Thinking about you and sending good vibes,
              HUGS, Susan
              Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
              2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
              2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
              2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
              2018: Removal L4,5 screw
              2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
              X