PDA

View Full Version : Surgery tomorrow 1/7/13

Wish2bstraight
01-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Well, I am as ready as I can be for my surgery tomorrow. It's really weird. I have been fairly calm about the whole thing, although I am getting a bit nervous today. My guess is that sleep will be a problem tonight.

My plan is to wear my scars proudly, while I stand up straighter. Knowing that I have conquered scoliosis rather than it putting me in bed for the rest of my life is my mantra.

Twisted Sister, good luck with your appointment with Dr. Hu tomorrow. I have a really good sense that you will be in a better place after you have met with her.

My daughter will be keeping you informed of my progress while I am unable to. Looking forward to reaching out to all of you myself very shortly.

Libby

kennedy
01-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Libby good luck

JenniferG
01-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Best of luck Libby! So glad your run up to surgery has gone easily for you. Soon you'll have this thing "behind" you and you'll be on your way back, straighter, taller and happier than ever.

Irina
01-06-2013, 03:29 PM
Wishing a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

mabeckoff
01-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Hope all goes well and soon you will be on the other side

tae_tap
01-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Will be praying for you!
Tamena

jackieg412
01-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Best wishes to you for a great result and an easy recovery!

Marina63
01-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Will be thinking of you and wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery!!

golfnut
01-06-2013, 05:31 PM
I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and wishing you a successful surgery with a smooth recovery.

susancook
01-06-2013, 08:03 PM
Sending warm and healing thoughts your way! You have a great attitude....I am still working on mine! I look forward to your progress notes and your good news! You are in the right place at the right time.
Hugs,
Your Twisted Sister, Susan

Doodles
01-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Libby--
Best of luck to you tomorrow! I hope you can get a good night's sleep tonight--but don't worry if you don't you'll get a good nap tomorrow. Positive thoughts and prayers coming your way. Janet

Confusedmom
01-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Best wishes! Soon you'll be on "the other side" with a nice, straight back!

Evelyn

JuliaAnn
01-06-2013, 11:19 PM
I'm praying for you Libby. I too love your attitude. I just reached 3 months post-op and I'm convinced that attitude is almost, if not more important than physical readiness. You sound strong and optimistic, which will get you through recovery. I look forward to your updates and will keep you in prayer.

thatrobyno
01-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Sending you lots of good vibes and good thoughts. I hope the surgery is smooth sailing and your recovery is quick and easy. I am looking forward to the updates. Wishing you all the best! -- Robyn

Wish2bstraight
01-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Good evening, I am writing to update Libby's status. She is resting comfortably after the first surgery. The doctor reported it went well.

Thank you all for your kind words. I will update the thread again tomorrow evening after the second surgery.

susancook
01-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Please tell Libby that she has a whole team of "those on the other side" and "still twisted sisters" I hope that she rests well tonight...drugs help alot...and tomorrow will be over before she knows it. Sending good wishes and healing,
Her still twisted sister, Susan

life
01-07-2013, 08:28 PM
that is a good news. I will be praying for her. she is in good hands.

JenniferG
01-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Thank you so much for updating us. Everything's crossed for her for tomorrow's surgery.

thatrobyno
01-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Sending my best!

titaniumed
01-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Good show!

Libby, you hang in there. Its going to be alright.

Jen, is she doing a staged surgery? I guess so....

Ed

JenniferG
01-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Good evening, I am writing to update Libby's status. She is resting comfortably after the first surgery. The doctor reported it went well.

Thank you all for your kind words. I will update the thread again tomorrow evening after the second surgery.

Hi Ed,

I didn't know she was having two surgeries. I'm just going by the update post above.

I hope all goes well!

Wish2bstraight
01-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Good morning, Libby had her second surgery yesterday and as of late afternoon was in recovery.
Libby is actually having three surgeries. Today is the final surgery. Fingers crossed.
We were told today's surgery is 6-8 hours so we will not know anything until late evening. I will keep you all posted.
Thank you all for your well wishes. I will share them with her when she is more alert.

thatrobyno
01-09-2013, 08:54 AM
A third? What a tough cookie! She's amazing. I'm sending all my good thoughts!

JenniferG
01-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Three surgeries? Now that's bravery for you!

All the very best to Libby. Thank goodness she'll soon be getting on with her recovery!

Wish2bstraight
01-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Good evening, Libby's third and final surgery lasted ten hours. She is in recovery and will be there for a period of time. I hope to have more information tomorrow. We have not been able to see her so hopefully tomorrow will bring positive news and visitors, even if for a brief moment.
I will continue to keep this updated as I have new information.

susancook
01-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Thanks for your updates. Please tell Libby that I am thinking about her and will send her a long email about what I am doing.
HUGS, Susan [tell Libby that it is from her "Twisted Sister"]

JenniferG
01-09-2013, 09:32 PM
Looking forward to updates on Libby!

hasteffen
01-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Wow, LIBBY!!!! 3 surgeries. I am praying for a good result and a great recovery. Hang in there! YOU CAN DO IT

Best,
Heidi

Wish2bstraight
01-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Libby is awake, whispering, and SMILING at her xrays.
Her husband saw her today for a very brief period of time as she is still in recovery or PAT. We are hoping she gets a room today but as the hosital said with all the flu patients around she is actually better off where she is.
I will continue the updates and when I see her I will read her all of the posts.
Thank you all again for the continued support

golfnut
01-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Thanks for posting for Libby. Smiling is good! Tell her we're all happy she has the surgery behind her . . . make that surgeries!

JuliaAnn
01-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Yes, smiling is good! I'm looking forward to smiling at her x-rays too. :) Libby had quite a procedure. Wow, three surgeries. Thank you so much for keeping us updated. Please let her know I'm praying for her.

JenniferG
01-10-2013, 11:23 PM
I'm so glad those three surgeries are over. I'm in awe of it!

All the best, Libby!

susancook
01-11-2013, 01:03 AM
Libby you did it! I bet your back is awesome! Can't wait to see your xrays and then to see you smile. I am so happy that you have done well, and that you are smiling. Grit your teeth and get going! Your future is a head of you! Can't waitto talk with you when You are feeling well!

HUGS to you, Your Twisted Sister, Susan

Wish2bstraight
01-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Good morning,
Libby is currently in the TICU, as she has some minor complications resulting in low blood pressure. They are hoping these issues resolve today or tomorrow after they get her up and moving. Yesterday morning the brace did not fit so by 3:30 pm they were trying it again after some adjustments were made. She got to see her husband for over an hour which was nice for both of them. I am heading up there this afternoon and will tell her about all of the well wishes and support she has received via this thread. She will be overwhelmed by the support you have all given her. I will update again when I have more news.
Thank you again

loves to skate
01-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the updates on Libby's surgeries. Let the healing begin!!! Glad to hear all is well.
Sally

JenniferG
01-12-2013, 01:55 PM
I hope the low blood pressure normalises soon. That can make it difficult to stand and walk. Perhaps she needs a little more blood.

Either way, healing is underway, and she has much to look forward to after her three surgeries! Best wishes, Libby!

titaniumed
01-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Libby

We are following your progress. Try not to worry its going to be alright. Yes, its hard to get comfortable and the hoses are a pain but soon they will pull them out. If you roll on a drain, call the nurse.

You stay strong. This is all temporary, and you will get through it. Every day gets better.

Keep your eye’s on the prize. Think about healing thoughts and walking through the trees......

Ed

Wish2bstraight
01-12-2013, 08:34 PM
Libby has been moved to CCU (Critical care Unit) as her blood pressure stabilized. Her brace fits and she is looking forward to getting up today. I read her the entire thread today and she was overwhelmed and so very thankful. She even half laughed a couple of times. She is mangaging her pain well and said, "I am a fighter." There are still a couple of minor issues she has to overcome but they are very happy with her progress.
I am planning to see her tomorrow and I will update again tomorrow.

hasteffen
01-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Libby,
I know its hard to believe that your surgeries are over! Now the healing begins. Take it one moment at a time. It will get better and easier everyday. Celebrate and marvel at the small improvements. Its a big deal! Best wishes, heidi

JenniferG
01-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Thank you so much for keeping us up to date on Libby's huge surgeries. It's great to read how well she's doing! Yep, she's a fighter!

Wish2bstraight
01-13-2013, 07:21 PM
Two huge steps for Libby today! She sat in a chair for 30 minutes and she took a few steps with a walker.
She is still very tired but great improvements.
As more improvements come I will be sure to keep you all updated.

hasteffen
01-13-2013, 07:38 PM
WOO HOOO! Great work.

Irina
01-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Wonderful news! She must be so happy to take those first steps.

JenniferG
01-13-2013, 11:42 PM
A little bit of normal life! I wonder how she felt when she stood that first time. That's when I first noticed how much taller I was.

Keep up the good work Libby, it sounds like you're doing very well.

Wish2bstraight
01-15-2013, 07:46 PM
Libby has already been moved to rehab. We were shocked and excited with this news today. She is definitely excited to make this move, but she knows the work is now truly in front of her. I will keep you posted as she makes strides.

JenniferG
01-15-2013, 08:24 PM
Thank you for your updates! Seems like Libby's doing really well. To be leaving the hospital so quickly after three surgeries, is amazing.

Wish2bstraight
01-19-2013, 01:58 PM
It's me, Libby. Before I forget, I just want to say thank you one and all for you best wishes and prayers. They helped me get through. I did not have any easy time and was ready to quit in the middle of the surgeries. Ther was one that I really wanted to say enough. Not sure if it was after the first or second surgery. My memory is in a black hole somewhere. Today, I am feeling more like myself, basically up in the chair all day and not in bed. Nurse is coming in to see me, will write again soon.

Thanks again,

Libby

golfnut
01-19-2013, 02:03 PM
It's good to hear from you. You sound great after going through three surgeries. I can't even imagine. Best of luck with a smooth recovery. It gets a little better each week.

Confusedmom
01-20-2013, 12:10 AM
Libby,

You sound like you're doing amazingly well--up in the chair all day!!! Congrats!!! You are on "the other side!" You did it!!!!!

Evelyn

Wish2bstraight
01-20-2013, 07:49 AM
Stayed in the hair too long. Feet are ow swollen, so my plan is to spend some time in the chair and some in the bed. I have trouble trying to find a good comfortable spot sitting imbed. Thebraceissowarmthatk actually went back to bed this morningsoi could remove it and use my friend the in spirometer, or whatever you call it.

JuliaAnn
01-20-2013, 08:04 AM
Wow, you sound like you're doing so well! I couldn't sit all day in a chair till I was well into my second month of recovery. I spent most of every day in bed, just getting up to walk around the house with the walker numerous times a day and even night, and then lying back down.

To stay comfortable in bed, I had to use a whole pile of feather pillows, which could be squished for support anywhere I needed support the most. For the first couple weeks at home after surgery, my sons propped up a padded board on my bed, which had two feather pillows covering it so it was smooth and soft. I kept that incline in my bed all the time because it was more restful than lying flat. I also kept another pillow under my thighs and knees when I used the incline, pretty much like an adjustable hospital bed.

I hope you can find some comfort. Please allow yourself plenty of rest. When I was feeling a bit better, I still spent many hours being still each day for the first 7 weeks. I told family and friends I was exhausted because I was busy building new bone cells every day.
Perhaps you can ask a nurse if you can have your legs massaged while you are lying down. I found that very helpful for the first month. It kept me from aching as much because I was used to walking a lot.
I'm thinking about you and keeping you in prayer.

susancook
01-26-2013, 08:14 PM
Libby, I am worried about you! How are you? I have surgery scheduled on March 19 and 22, so a 2 day surgery. I will remember your post about wanting to cancel surgery after the first day, knowing that more is to come. The second day for me will have all of the posterior repair done and will be the big day.

Someone on their forum said that at 2 weeks, she regretted having surgery, but when things started to improve, that she was pleased with the surgery. So, this may be your lowest point, and it sounds like things will improve with time.

Just remember that with us older ladies with degeneration, in many ways there really isn't an option not to have surgery. And the longer that you wait the "more crooked and more in pain" (a quote from Dr. Hu) you will be.

Sending good thoughts your way and healing vibes!
Hugs, Susan