PDA

View Full Version : 2 Year Annviersary-January 5, 2013

golfnut
01-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Today is the two year anniversary of my T4-Sacrum surgery with Dr. Lenke. I'll let you know if I get a good report on January 16th. I'm looking forward to meeting Linda (Babyboomer) and Spring. Laying in bed last night, I started thinking about some of the many reasons I am so happy about my surgery. Here goes . . .

I am thankful:
-that I had the courage to "elect" to have major back surgery
-for the expertise of my surgeon, Dr. Lenke, and his team
-for my husband who earned (in his opinion and mine, too) "Husband of the Year" for the good care he gave me, our dogs, the house
-for the cards, prayers, flowers, food, visits & phone calls from family and friends
-that I was able to return to my favorite sport of golf (big surprise there) and many other activities including bike riding & dancing
-for my improved appearance with a straight back and no rib hump and even more importantly, the hope for a better future without a curve that most likely would have continued to increase
-for a smooth recovery with minimal pain
-that I was retired and could dedicate myself to one or more hours of daily exercise

Last, but not the least, I am thankful for my forum friends who were invaluable before and after my surgery with their personal experiences, suggestions, and tremendous support-You're the best!

leahdragonfly
01-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Congratulations, Karen! You have done so well in your recovery and your supportive, positive outlook is always great to see. I am sure your posts have been helpful to many since you joined.

Take care,

JenniferG
01-05-2013, 04:10 PM
Isn't it amazing how quickly time flies?! Congratulations Karen, it's been a pleasure reading your inspiring posts and I'm glad you've had such an amazing outcome. You must be thrilled.

susancook
01-05-2013, 06:55 PM
Karen, you are an inspiration! Susan

Irina
01-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Karen, you are an inspiration! Susan

Yes, Karen, you were always an inspiration for me too. I love reading your posts - they project such optimism!

Marina63
01-05-2013, 09:22 PM
That is wonderful that you are doing so well two years post surgery! I'm glad it has worked out so well for you.

I do have a question regarding bike riding: I am only fused to L2 but I cannot turn to see behind me when biking. How do you manage that with a fusion to sacrum?

Doodles
01-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Karen--
That's wonderful that you have done so well. Dr. Lenke did fine work for you. I'm always amazed how you were able to return to golf! Fantastic. Congratulations. Janet

Confusedmom
01-05-2013, 11:35 PM
Karen,

I am so happy for you. You are a go-getter with an upbeat attitude! It's taking me a little longer, but I'm planning to be like you eventually!!!

: ),
Evelyn

kennedy
01-06-2013, 02:49 AM
Karen congrads

golfnut
01-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Thanks, everyone, for your comments. I wasn't fishing for compliments . . . but appreciate them. I had plenty of people on the forum who gave me encouragment, so if I can help in any way, I'm happy to do so.

Marina,
I have a "rearview mirror" on my bike which I use, but don't rely on it totally. I can actually turn my head and look fairly far behind me. I do not ride on busy streets . . .strictly subdivisions with little traffic or on a bike trail that is near our house. I also avoid really steep hills because I don't want to go too fast on the downhills and strain too much going back up. After the squirrel issue (another post), I try to be really alert and a defensive rider. I don't trust people driving and talking on their cell phones.

Question: I noticed that someone had on a post: edit: spelling I just noticed that when I was typing my post quickly that I had a typing error on the word Anniversary. How can I edit that?

I don't think I mentioned it in my post, but I have definitely noticed improvements during year two, so those of you 10-12 months post-op, I think you'll feel more "normal" with daily movements during the second year.

titaniumed
01-06-2013, 05:24 PM
Karen

You are one who did really well...Congratulations!

Ed

Susie*Bee
01-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Question: I noticed that someone had on a post: edit: spelling I just noticed that when I was typing my post quickly that I had a typing error on the word Anniversary. How can I edit that?

Karen-- congratulations from me also on your milestone! To edit your post-- down at the bottom border of your post is a gray border with an edit icon and the words edit your post or something like that. You just need to click on that. You don't have to give the reason why you edited it if you don't want to.

susancook
01-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Karen,

I am so happy for you. You are a go-getter with an upbeat attitude! It's taking me a little longer, but I'm planning to be like you eventually!!!

: ),
Evelyn

If I grow up, I'd like to be like Karen too! Susan

golfnut
01-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Susan-You're funny!

Susie Bee-I found the Edit Icon, but it would only let me edit the text. I had a typing error in the title that I wanted to correct: Anniversary

You know how teachers hate to catch themselves with a typing error or misspelled word.

Susie*Bee
01-08-2013, 04:01 PM
Susie Bee-I found the Edit Icon, but it would only let me edit the text. I had a typing error in the title that I wanted to correct: Anniversary

You know how teachers hate to catch themselves with a typing error or misspelled word.

Ahhhhhhh.... now I understand. No, it doesn't let you edit the title. I tried that once also. I hate typos too! (frustrated face!)

loves to skate
01-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Karen,
Congratulations on your two year anniversary. Your journey is an inspiration to many people on this forum and I am so happy for you that you are able to do so many of the things you enjoy, especially golfing.
Take care, Sally

golfnut
01-12-2013, 08:49 AM
Thanks, Sally. I will see Dr. Lenke on the 16th and won't celebrate until I hear from him that my x-rays look good. I certainly hope so! I had to take a pulmonary test last week and expected to do just fine. I was surprised to find out that my results were quite a bit worse than the test I took two years ago before my surgery. The tester said not to worry about it, but she doesn't know me.

golfnut
01-16-2013, 08:02 PM
I have been feeling fine and hoped to get a good report today. Dr. Lenke thought my x-rays looked fine. I told him I was concerned about the pulmonary tests that I had last week. He looked puzzled and said that the results were all in the average range. The person administering the test last week didn't say that I had done poorly but that the results were considerably worse than two years ago. Anyway, Dr. Lenke looked at the pre-op scores and thought that they had to be incorrect, so I feel much better about it.

The highlight of the morning was meeting Spring and Linda-"Babyboomer". They both look amazing . . . nice, straight backs! It was great to swap stories of our recoveries and to get to know each other.

Doodles
01-16-2013, 10:45 PM
Karen--
Fantastic news all around. Plus, meeting forum friends. Sounds like a great day! Congrats. Janet

susancook
01-17-2013, 02:46 AM
Susan-You're funny!

To correct the title [I learned all of this since I can't type worth a damn], go to the Edit Post Button, then the Go Advanced button, then change your title and all entry mistakes in the whole blog.

Susan

golfnut
01-17-2013, 03:07 AM
Thanks, Susan. I was able to change the spelling.

Confusedmom
01-17-2013, 04:36 AM
Congrats, Karen! I'm glad Dr. Lenke wasn't concerned about the results of the pulmonary test. Sounds like you're dong great. Ready to lift 200 lbs. like Ed! :-)

Best,
Evelyn

golfnut
12-11-2013, 09:58 PM
I can hardly believe it, but my 3 year anniversary is fast approaching on January 5, 2014. I have a check up with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis on January 10th. I'd love to meet anyone from the forum who might have an appointment on the same day. I was so happy to meet Spring and BabyBoomer (Linda) last year.
I am feeling better than ever and hope to get a good report on the 10th.

Karen

P.S.
If it's icy where you live, be careful. We sure don't need to slip and fall on the ice.

kennedy
12-15-2013, 09:47 PM
congrads karen

PeggyS
12-16-2013, 07:00 PM
Karen - so happy to hear the good results of your 2 year checkup!! Your posts have been very helpful!