2 Year Annviersary-January 5, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Year Annviersary-January 5, 2013

Today is the two year anniversary of my T4-Sacrum surgery with Dr. Lenke. I'll let you know if I get a good report on January 16th. I'm looking forward to meeting Linda (Babyboomer) and Spring. Laying in bed last night, I started thinking about some of the many reasons I am so happy about my surgery. Here goes . . .

I am thankful:
    -that I had the courage to "elect" to have major back surgery
    -for the expertise of my surgeon, Dr. Lenke, and his team
    -for my husband who earned (in his opinion and mine, too) "Husband of the Year" for the good care he gave me, our dogs, the house
    -for the cards, prayers, flowers, food, visits & phone calls from family and friends
    -that I was able to return to my favorite sport of golf (big surprise there) and many other activities including bike riding & dancing
    -for my improved appearance with a straight back and no rib hump and even more importantly, the hope for a better future without a curve that most likely would have continued to increase
    -for a smooth recovery with minimal pain
    -that I was retired and could dedicate myself to one or more hours of daily exercise

Last, but not the least, I am thankful for my forum friends who were invaluable before and after my surgery with their personal experiences, suggestions, and tremendous support-You're the best!
    Last edited by golfnut; 01-17-2013, 03:05 AM.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Congratulations, Karen! You have done so well in your recovery and your supportive, positive outlook is always great to see. I am sure your posts have been helpful to many since you joined.

Take care,
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Isn't it amazing how quickly time flies?! Congratulations Karen, it's been a pleasure reading your inspiring posts and I'm glad you've had such an amazing outcome. You must be thrilled.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Karen, you are an inspiration! Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
          Karen, you are an inspiration! Susan
          Yes, Karen, you were always an inspiration for me too. I love reading your posts - they project such optimism!
          I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
          45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
          A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Congrats!!

That is wonderful that you are doing so well two years post surgery! I'm glad it has worked out so well for you.

I do have a question regarding bike riding: I am only fused to L2 but I cannot turn to see behind me when biking. How do you manage that with a fusion to sacrum?
            50 years old!!!!!
            Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
            Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
            Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
            Surgery 07/11/2011
            Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Karen--
              That's wonderful that you have done so well. Dr. Lenke did fine work for you. I'm always amazed how you were able to return to golf! Fantastic. Congratulations. Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Karen,

I am so happy for you. You are a go-getter with an upbeat attitude! It's taking me a little longer, but I'm planning to be like you eventually!!!

: ),
                Evelyn
                age 48
                80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Karen congrads
                  Kara
                  Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                  Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                  T4-L2
                  Before 50T
                  After 20T

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for your comments. I wasn't fishing for compliments . . . but appreciate them. I had plenty of people on the forum who gave me encouragment, so if I can help in any way, I'm happy to do so.

Marina,
                    I have a "rearview mirror" on my bike which I use, but don't rely on it totally. I can actually turn my head and look fairly far behind me. I do not ride on busy streets . . .strictly subdivisions with little traffic or on a bike trail that is near our house. I also avoid really steep hills because I don't want to go too fast on the downhills and strain too much going back up. After the squirrel issue (another post), I try to be really alert and a defensive rider. I don't trust people driving and talking on their cell phones.

Question: I noticed that someone had on a post: edit: spelling I just noticed that when I was typing my post quickly that I had a typing error on the word Anniversary. How can I edit that?

I don't think I mentioned it in my post, but I have definitely noticed improvements during year two, so those of you 10-12 months post-op, I think you'll feel more "normal" with daily movements during the second year.
                    Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Karen

You are one who did really well...Congratulations!

Ed
                      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post

Question: I noticed that someone had on a post: edit: spelling I just noticed that when I was typing my post quickly that I had a typing error on the word Anniversary. How can I edit that?

Karen-- congratulations from me also on your milestone! To edit your post-- down at the bottom border of your post is a gray border with an edit icon and the words edit your post or something like that. You just need to click on that. You don't have to give the reason why you edited it if you don't want to.
                        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                          Karen,

I am so happy for you. You are a go-getter with an upbeat attitude! It's taking me a little longer, but I'm planning to be like you eventually!!!

: ),
                          Evelyn
                          If I grow up, I'd like to be like Karen too! Susan
                          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Susan-You're funny!

Susie Bee-I found the Edit Icon, but it would only let me edit the text. I had a typing error in the title that I wanted to correct: Anniversary

You know how teachers hate to catch themselves with a typing error or misspelled word.
                            Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                            Now 66
                            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post

Susie Bee-I found the Edit Icon, but it would only let me edit the text. I had a typing error in the title that I wanted to correct: Anniversary

You know how teachers hate to catch themselves with a typing error or misspelled word.
                              Ahhhhhhh.... now I understand. No, it doesn't let you edit the title. I tried that once also. I hate typos too! (frustrated face!)
                              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
                              X