PDA

View Full Version : Did some of you over 60 go to a rehab facility after surgery?

susancook
01-04-2013, 03:35 PM
I mentioned going to a rehab facility as a response to a thread and the only info that I received was from Linda who mentioned that it might increase chance of infection. I did find a thread about 2 years ago where someone posted their experiences in rehab facilities.

What decision did some of you, especially the more senior folks, make about going to a rehab facility and how did that go? Did anyone use any facilities in San Francisco/Oakland or Portland, Oregon?

Thanks, Susan

jackieg412
01-04-2013, 04:41 PM
I went to rehab facility after both of my major surgeries. I was well treated and helped in so many ways. I do live alone, after the major surgeries like this, you really need some one to help. I was glad that I did this--helped in all kinds of ways. The Dr did have to say that it was necessary and it was.

Lue
01-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Hi Susan, I did not go to rehab, I was in hospital 1 week, I was 68 when I had surgery, last year. I am fused from T3 to S1. he did a lot of work, I did rehab at home. If you can walk ok, I don't think you need rehab, unless you live alone maybe, and yes it is easy to get infection there.

golfnut
01-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Susan,
I was 60 when I had my surgery and did not go to rehab. I was more than willing to go if it had been recommended, however, I did not qualify. I passed a series of tests, such as, using dressing aides, going up and down steps, etc., so I was sent home. My husband was able to be off of work for several weeks and I did just fine at home. I was in the hospital 6 days.

loves to skate
01-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Susan,
My Doctor sent me to rehab in between my two surgeries, and I don't know how I could have done without it. I received excellent care including good food. I was 67 and Medicare paid for it.
Sally

Wish2bstraight
01-05-2013, 12:31 PM
So I was wondering if anyone's insurance allowed them to have a visiting nurse or a pt help learn how to get on and off your own toilet and in and out of your bed, and so forth

Susie*Bee
01-05-2013, 12:53 PM
They work on helping you learn how to do that while you're still in the hospital (roll out of bed, etc.). At least that was my experience. Also, my insurance did cover having both PT and OT come for a short while to make sure I could get along at my home and get started-- and that my house was set up ok for me to be able to manage alright (that was the occupational therapist...) I have BCBS in IN. I hear they are different in different places. I was "given" a raised toilet seat in the hospital, with handles, and that was perfect for using at home. You just need to make sure your arm strength is ok to help you get up. (smile) I think that depends on your hospital, though. And the PT and OT need to be prescribed by your surgeon, I think...

gardenia
01-08-2013, 08:39 AM
I am 6 weeks post-op today. I stayed at the hospital for almost 2 weeks due to the dural leak which kept me sedated for a 4 days.

PT and OT came during the days in my second week but they were always in a hurry to come and leave. I discovered that if with PT it was take a step. I did, I could walk just like before. So nothing to learn other than I could not go shopping immediately for hours.

With OT it was more about discovering short cuts to life. We purchased a kit for about $65 and the only good thing is the grabber. The long shoe horn, the elastic ties, the hooks, the sock or pants helper nor the long bath sponge have been of much use. My husband or kids help me with dressing.

I thought I needed to go to rebah also as another surgeon in San Diego had estimated that I would go to one for 3 weeks after the hospital. Absolutely bogus.

Hope this help.

titaniumed
01-08-2013, 05:00 PM
So nothing to learn other than I could not go shopping immediately for hours.

Thatís a great idea! Set up a shopping mall for fusion patients in rehab. The doctors would love that!

Gardinia, you are doing great. When do you fly back?

Ed