Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did some of you over 60 go to a rehab facility after surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did some of you over 60 go to a rehab facility after surgery?

I mentioned going to a rehab facility as a response to a thread and the only info that I received was from Linda who mentioned that it might increase chance of infection. I did find a thread about 2 years ago where someone posted their experiences in rehab facilities.

What decision did some of you, especially the more senior folks, make about going to a rehab facility and how did that go? Did anyone use any facilities in San Francisco/Oakland or Portland, Oregon?

Thanks, Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

I went to rehab facility after both of my major surgeries. I was well treated and helped in so many ways. I do live alone, after the major surgeries like this, you really need some one to help. I was glad that I did this--helped in all kinds of ways. The Dr did have to say that it was necessary and it was.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

rehab

Hi Susan, I did not go to rehab, I was in hospital 1 week, I was 68 when I had surgery, last year. I am fused from T3 to S1. he did a lot of work, I did rehab at home. If you can walk ok, I don't think you need rehab, unless you live alone maybe, and yes it is easy to get infection there.

Comment

Susan,
        I was 60 when I had my surgery and did not go to rehab. I was more than willing to go if it had been recommended, however, I did not qualify. I passed a series of tests, such as, using dressing aides, going up and down steps, etc., so I was sent home. My husband was able to be off of work for several weeks and I did just fine at home. I was in the hospital 6 days.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Susan,
          My Doctor sent me to rehab in between my two surgeries, and I don't know how I could have done without it. I received excellent care including good food. I was 67 and Medicare paid for it.
          Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Another question regarding post surgery

So I was wondering if anyone's insurance allowed them to have a visiting nurse or a pt help learn how to get on and off your own toilet and in and out of your bed, and so forth

Comment

They work on helping you learn how to do that while you're still in the hospital (roll out of bed, etc.). At least that was my experience. Also, my insurance did cover having both PT and OT come for a short while to make sure I could get along at my home and get started-- and that my house was set up ok for me to be able to manage alright (that was the occupational therapist...) I have BCBS in IN. I hear they are different in different places. I was "given" a raised toilet seat in the hospital, with handles, and that was perfect for using at home. You just need to make sure your arm strength is ok to help you get up. (smile) I think that depends on your hospital, though. And the PT and OT need to be prescribed by your surgeon, I think...
              Last edited by Susie*Bee; 01-05-2013, 12:58 PM.
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Pt and OT at the hospital

I am 6 weeks post-op today. I stayed at the hospital for almost 2 weeks due to the dural leak which kept me sedated for a 4 days.

PT and OT came during the days in my second week but they were always in a hurry to come and leave. I discovered that if with PT it was take a step. I did, I could walk just like before. So nothing to learn other than I could not go shopping immediately for hours.

With OT it was more about discovering short cuts to life. We purchased a kit for about $65 and the only good thing is the grabber. The long shoe horn, the elastic ties, the hooks, the sock or pants helper nor the long bath sponge have been of much use. My husband or kids help me with dressing.

I thought I needed to go to rebah also as another surgeon in San Diego had estimated that I would go to one for 3 weeks after the hospital. Absolutely bogus.

Hope this help.
                Gardenia
                Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
                pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
                Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
                T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by gardenia View Post
                  So nothing to learn other than I could not go shopping immediately for hours.

That’s a great idea! Set up a shopping mall for fusion patients in rehab. The doctors would love that!

Gardinia, you are doing great. When do you fly back?

Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...