PDA

View Full Version : How do you manage surgery 12 hours from home?

susancook
01-04-2013, 03:28 PM
I am still quite uncertain what surgeon I will use. One is 12 hours by car and in another state. I can recuperate at my son's house which is about 50 minutes away and stay there for a couple of weeks. But, once I do go home, how did you handle getting pain meds since controlled substances need an original script? Susan

hasteffen
01-07-2013, 06:33 PM
I am still quite uncertain what surgeon I will use. One is 12 hours by car and in another state. I can recuperate at my son's house which is about 50 minutes away and stay there for a couple of weeks. But, once I do go home, how did you handle getting pain meds since controlled substances need an original script? Susan

Susan,
I flew on a plane 11 days post op and then had over an hour ride home. As far as pain meds went for me. My sister had them filled in St. Louis at a Walgreens. I never needed to have them refilled. I actually had to throw most of them away when I stopped taking them

mabeckoff
01-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Do you have a PCP that you go to? They should be able to write scripts for you if you need them . Do you have Pain Management where you live ? They would be able to write them for you as well. Most surgeons will only write pain medicine scripts for 6 weeks anyway