Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continued Tightness in Thoracic Area.....18 months post op : (

Hello All!

There has been some brief discussion about the "bear trap" feeling some of us have post op. I was more than willing to put up with it for a year or so but I still have this tightness and I am going on 18 months post op. I have this feeling all the time. Sometimes it's mild and sometimes extremely tight and every now and then I get sharp shooting pains in different areas on my back.

I am pushing 50 so maybe it just takes longer for me to heal but I thought at this point I would be free of the constant tightness. Like someone else on the forum so perfectly put it, it's like having the brace on all the time. I do get relief when I am sitting in a high backed chair or lying down. The varying degrees of tightness seem to be completely random.

As it is more discomfort than pain, I don't take anything for it. Wine does help relax the muscles a lot but I can't drink wine all the time : ) I don't want to take any prescription meds either. I need to be awake and alert for my job and daily activities. I do not have the luxury of staying home and resting daily. I do when I can.

Anyone else have this? I am growing concerned that it may be more than regenerating nerves or healing muscles at this point.
    50 years old!!!!!
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
    Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
    Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
    Surgery 07/11/2011
    Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Hi,
    I can relate to all of your feelings and include a very sharp nerve feeling when I touch a certain area of my chest wall. I still cannot wear all articles of clothing due to this problem. I am on gabapentin for this tight feeling, it does not have a real bad side effect with me and does help tame the NERVE! My dr siad it could take up to 5 years to heal. He has had the same response in his own body. so he really knows what I mean. My thorasic surgery will be 2 years in Feb. My scoliosis surgery was done on 2 different times. The 1st--t10 -pelvis,did not do this,but the second one t-2 to t-10 was the one that created the issue.You may try lyrica or gabapentin---some side effects but not too bad.
    Last edited by jackieg412; 01-04-2013, 04:38 PM. Reason: spelling
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

Hi Marina, your post sounds just like my Thoracic area, Jan. 9 will be 1 year I had a old rod break(IT WAS 9 YEARS OLD) and 2 rods were replaced, and I still have strange feelings back there. May of 2011 I had surgery, he did a PSO, and when the rods were replaced that surgery was worse then the first, and the first was a much bigger surgery. I though it was just me with the pain that feels like nerve pain, and burning, in the shoulder area, and center of spine. Like you I try not to take anything, but rest does help, and I work also, but I do rest when I can. I hope yours goes away soon, 18 mo. is a long time. My Dr. said it will get better. Lu

Comment

Hi Marina,

I can definitely relate to the tightness that you are experiencing and I am just at 20 mos post-op. A year ago the tightness was so bad that it would spread across my chest and I would have no choice but to lie down. At least I dont have the chest tightness anymore. Now lying flat on my back is really the only time that I get complete relief from the thoracic tightness, but hot towels and hot showers are helpful. My preference is to sit back in a slight reclining position if I must sit down. In the evenings I prefer sitting in the recliner.

It's not painful, as you say, but it is most uncomfortable. It seems to be worse on my left side. I continue to walk or play tennis everyday and lift weights (i.e. pectoral fly, pull downs, rowing) 2-3 times per week. I just try to go about with my regular daily activities and tune it out best I can. I had tried gabapentin, but stopped at 7 mos post-op because I couldn't think straight while taking it. Now I just pop 1 Aleve each day.

Wish that I could tell you that it goes away, but I am like you waiting for the tightness to be gone someday. Donna
        Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
        Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
        Fused T3-L3
        60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
        Tennis player & returning to the courts!
        http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

My experience with bear trap

I use the body blade with my PT and it seems to help alot!! when I use the muscles In the thoracic area it seems to relieve the pain. That- and wet heating pad.

Comment

I am now 19 months post-op, and still have the tightness and pressure in my back all of the time. It also wraps around to my chest wall on one side. I have tried PT, aquatic therapy, massage, myofascial release, acupuncture, and 4 different meds for nerve pain. Nothing has helped. It does feel like I am wearing an internal brace. Lying down is the only thing that relieves it.
            I am wondering if all of you that have this issue had BMP used in their surgery? There is an FDA investigation currently looking in to Medtronics, the company that makes it, due to their lack of reporting known adverse effects of this product. If used "off label" it can cause chronic pain, nerve damage, and ectopic bone growth.It is only approved for use in anterior fusions. Since I had a lot used in my surgery, I can't help but wonder if the BMP might be the cause of the problems?
            Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
            T54/L72
            Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
            Gained 2 inches!
            Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
            12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
            Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Lori,
              Probably for most of us, we all have lots of bmp that was used in our surgeries. Plus, all of our bodies have to adjust to all of the instrumentation that is now part of us. As for me, my thoracic tightness was present immediately after surgery. I didn't realize it until I saw my before/after surgery photos that I was literally pulling my left shoulder up to appear as if I had even shoulders and apparently that left muscle was stuck in that position for years. After surgery, that left muscle ended up in a new position as my shoulders are now even and the left shoulder has dropped into a relaxed position.

I just wish that those upper back muscles would just settle in and embrace the idea that the rods will be there forever and that my muscles and rods could co-exist in my body. it just might take a long time. Just my thoughts....
              Donna
              Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
              Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
              Fused T3-L3
              60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
              Tennis player & returning to the courts!
              http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

Relief for tightness

Originally posted by king14 View Post
                I use the body blade with my PT and it seems to help alot!! when I use the muscles In the thoracic area it seems to relieve the pain. That- and wet heating pad.
                Thanks, King! I have found the same and many other things relieve the tightness but do not get rid of it.
                50 years old!!!!!
                Surgery 07/11/2011

Comment

Thanks!

I just wish that those upper back muscles would just settle in and embrace the idea that the rods will be there forever and that my muscles and rods could co-exist in my body. it just might take a long time. Just my thoughts....

Yes! Hoping those muscles settle down.

I exercise daily and lift weights to try to strengthen and get those muscles to relax. I have been trying to relax my shoulders and arms and it does help. Hot showers, moist heat do wonders for it!! It just doesn't last very long.

I go to massage twice a month also. Nothing has gotten rid of it.

Thanks to everyone for their input. So glad to know I am not the only one experiencing this discomfort.
                  50 years old!!!!!
                  Surgery 07/11/2011

Comment

Hi all--
                    I don't tend to post much anymore since it will be 4 years at the end of March, but this topic caught my eye. The upper back is almost always tight. That's why I feel I can't ever forget about my back. I feel sort of embarrassed that I have to read almost daily--always lying flat! I feel like I'm being really lazy, but that's the best way for me too--& really hot showers and my always present heat pad for bed. I exercise too--4-5 times a week--zumba, treadmill, weights, etc. etc. I really feel awful if I don't. Not that I wish anyone ill, but it was nice to know I wasn't the only one! What is the body blade?? I want to know about this. Thanks. Janet
                    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Coming up on 10 months here, so not as far as the rest of you. But this describes me to a T. I constantly wonder how metal that is centered in my back can make me feel like I am wearing a metal bodice that wraps all the way around! Okay, that may be a slight exaggeration because the front doesn't feel that way. But the whole upper back does. I also am only comfortable lying completely flat--no pillow. Sometimes lying for long periods makes other things ache, tho. I did get a massage today, which helped for a couple of hours. Muscle relaxants are good--but I only use them for special occasions (long car trips, etc.).

I don't think it's the BMP. My BMP was mostly in my lumbar spine, where they thought it would be difficult to achieve fusion. I also don't have the feeling it's nerve-related. I don't know why--just doesn't strike me that way. I think it's as someone said-- the muscles can't quite get used to the metal. I had spasms for several months at first. I told Dr. Lenke's nurse that it felt like I was being kicked in the middle of my back by a horse! At least the spasms are gone. I do think the tightness will diminish over time (seems to have a little for me), but probably never completely go away. I look forward to being 1-year postop, when I can start more stretching, lifting weights and more vigorous PT. For now, I try to lie down for 10-15 minutes every few hours. More if I have time!
                      age 48
                      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

What a relief!

I am relieved to hear so many others are having this same issue. I was getting a little worried.

Rarely, it does feel like a metal band is wrapped around my chest and upper back. The feeling of being kicked by a horse is a great analogy!

I guess I just need to resign myself to the fact that the tightness will always be there to some degree. It does help (constantly ^^) me remember to take it easy and be careful.

Exercise helps me as well and not working out makes me feel bad. Even just walking is good.

Another issue I have is near the top of my incision there is a super, ultra sensitive spot. When my hair or a tag in my clothing merely brushes against it, it hurts and tingles. This gets more intense as the day wears on. In the summer, when I wear lighter tops, I often have to pull my hair up to keep from touching this area.
                        50 years old!!!!!
                        Surgery 07/11/2011

Comment

im going on 3 years post-op and my thoracic area is still tight.. but only in the winter it really bad
                          Kara
                          Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                          Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                          T4-L2
                          Before 50T
                          After 20T

Comment

I'm 2yrs post op and this is still a big problem for me.
                            My surgeon says it is most likely my metalwork that's the problem because of lack of flesh in that area-I also have 3/4 protruding screws there. I'm waiting to go and see him to discuss a bone scan I've had to determine whether I've fused so we can discuss removal of my hardware. I'm very undecided about this though because I'm so scared of curving again.

It's so frustrating because in some ways my back has improved more-apart from that awful pressure and tightness in the middle that's only relieved by lying down.
                            Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Comment

Hardware Removal

Originally posted by bluestone View Post
                              My surgeon says it is most likely my metalwork that's the problem because of lack of flesh in that area-I also have 3/4 protruding screws there. I'm waiting to go and see him to discuss a bone scan I've had to determine whether I've fused so we can discuss removal of my hardware. I'm very undecided about this though because I'm so scared of curving again.
                              I have very little flesh on my back as well. Could that be the issue? Or at least part of it? I've also thought about getting the hardware removed. From what I understand, once you are fused, removal of the hardware is fine. The curve won't come back. I have my two year follow up in June. I'm wondering if I should go/call sooner. I just don't want to be given meds for this. I can't live my life with meds just yet ^^

@Kennedy: I hadn't thought about the weather. I don't remember it being so much of an issue last winter but maybe the cold is making it worse. I am usually indoors and am never cold. On a recent trip to NYC we were outside in 40 degree weather walking all day and I was fine. Maybe because I was too busy to think about it.
                              50 years old!!!!!
                              Surgery 07/11/2011

Comment

Working...
                              X