PDA

View Full Version : Car Ride Home from the Hospital

Irina
01-04-2013, 12:49 PM
I am looking for suggestions on how to make a ride home after the surgery easier. I have Toyota Camry and my hubby has Prius. I did a test - pushed back the passenger seat as low as possible in my Camry and tried to get in the car without bending. It was a challenge and laying down in a fully reclined seat was not comfortable even now, before the surgery. It seems to me that seating straight up or reclining back just a little bit would be better.

What would you recommend sit straight in the car or lay down? Use my Camry or rent a bigger car (SUV or VAN)? My ride home will be about 50 miles. Any suggestions on how to make it more comfortable?

Thank you!

tae_tap
01-04-2013, 12:59 PM
I am looking for suggestions on how to make a ride home after the surgery easier. I have Toyota Camry and my hubby has Prius. I did a test - pushed back the passenger seat as low as possible in my Camry and tried to get in the car without bending. It was a challenge and laying down in a fully reclined seat was not comfortable even now, before the surgery. It seems to me that seating straight up or reclining back just a little bit would be better.

What would you recommend sit straight in the car or lay down? Use my Camry or rent a bigger car (SUV or VAN)? My ride home will be about 50 miles. Any suggestions on how to make it more comfortable?

Thank you!

[I[/I]
Irina,
My doctor had us put a matress in the back of a mini van to come home. It was either that or an ambulance because of the distance. I had an hour and half to two hour trip to get home. They drugged me right before loading the car and I slept the whole way home. Made it easy, but it was a challenge to get out. had to log roll and know I looked crazy.
Tamena

walkingmom
01-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Irina,

I would suggest that your passenger seat be in a slight reclining position and have a queen/king size pillow behind you. I would not recommend laying in a fully reclined position. I imagine that Logrolling to that position would be difficult and not pain free. We have a Volvo crossover vehicle which was perfect to get in and out of. Plus, it had a smooth ride like a sedan. They will time your pain medication so that you will get a full dose right before you leave the hospital and you won't even remember the ride home. In my case, I travelled from st. louis to indiana and was asleep before we went across the Mississippi River and only woke up once at the half-way point of our three hour drive so that I could get out and walk around for a little bit.

Donna

Confusedmom
01-04-2013, 02:22 PM
We borrowed my in-laws Buick. I sat in the passenger seat, which was initially slightly reclined. Once in it, we reclined it further. I had a four-hour drive, so we stopped a couple of times for me to walk. I did have to lay down flat for 15 min or so in the middle.

Lue
01-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Hi Irina, I am 2 1/2 hr. away my surgery was in Baltimore and I live in NJ, I had a bed pillow (thin not to thick) for my back and the seat was back and the back was a LITTLE reclined. and it was not as bad as you would think, but do stop after 1 hr. or so just to stand up and walk around the car, that was my fear, getting home, but it was not bad. and I had a 7 hr surgery and a lot of work done, I was glad to get in my bed. good luck Lu

Irina
01-04-2013, 06:05 PM
Thank you all. Looks like reclining the sit a little bit is the way to go.

hasteffen
01-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Irina- If it's any consolation. I flew home first class and don't remember even going to the airport. After the plane ride, I hade an hour and 15 minute drive home. I don't remember it either but I have been told that I sat in the front seat...
Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Heidi

Susie*Bee
01-08-2013, 04:10 PM
I also had about a 2 1/2 hour drive to home from my hospital in Chicago to my home in Indiana. We stopped mid-way because they said it was important to walk around a little bit to avoid blood clots. That part worried me (the walking around part), but we managed it. I rode in our van with the seat reclined a little and with some pillows. It was fine (well- ok, anyway). I remember getting a chocolate milkshake when we stopped at the mid-way point. (smile). A girl has to have a treat on a big adventure! Be sure to time your meds so you take them just before you leave and try to take the smoothest road you can if there are choices...