exercise after fusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exercise after fusion

what are the best exercises for strengthening the abdominal muscles after fusion??
    Landra

Sandra...

You should work with a physical therapist who can design the best exercise for you. It's difficult to do ab strengthening correctly, especially without using the muscles directly connected to the spine.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi,
      I'm at this stage now..I can do plenty but abdominals are the hardest...I lay down and do pelvic tilts and I bring my legs up and down like i;m marching....I also sit on a excercise ball and slowlylay back and than I bring myself up while my hands are crossed on my chest..I can only do a few but I'm getting better at it..I learned all this with my physcaial therapist...also always hold your stomack in when u walk or drive or anytime u remember..that can increase core strenghth and help! Good luck
      CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
      fused T4 -L3
      Hip graft
      Grown 1 1/2 inches
      25/o upper T 15/o
      53/o T 15/o
      37/o L 6/o
      Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
      New York City

August 6, 2004
      Pulmonary Embolism
      complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
      increasing pain at the T4/5
      point irratation heardwear

Comment

Thanks LindaRacine. I am going to see a PT tomorrow to learn some good exercises to strengthen my lower back.
        Landra

Comment

have fun at physical therapy! i am one week into pt and it has made me feel stronger and more energetic already. i fancy that after a week's work i can actually see an abdominal muscle here and there; what a relief! i feel rotten today with allergy stuff but i'm going to pt anyway because i can't imagine skipping even one session....
          Sue

Milwaukee Brace from ages 8 - 16
          T36 degrees/L56 degrees Pre-Op
          Fused T3 - S1
          Surgery done Sept. 15, 2004
          Dr. Robert G. Viere
          North Texas Spine Care @ Baylor

Comment

SueJeryl, what kind of exercises does your pT do with you?
            I went to PT for the 1st time today, since my surgery 20 years ago! It was mainly just assessment today.
            Sandra
            Landra

Comment

hi, sandra! you could open any "healthy back" kind of book and see the exercises i do in pt: i get on all fours, lift my abs up and in, and sqeeeeeeeeze. i "punch up" with my shoulder blades in this position (separate exercise) to relieve stress in my neck and back. i work on the pilates reformer a bit to strengthen my legs and my shoulder blade area. i do some stretches for my front hip muscles so i can stand up straighter. i ride the bike for a little bit. i am surprised by how much i can do, especially since i would NEVER do any of these things on my own without having someone show me the right way!
              Sue

Milwaukee Brace from ages 8 - 16
              T36 degrees/L56 degrees Pre-Op
              Fused T3 - S1
              Surgery done Sept. 15, 2004
              Dr. Robert G. Viere
              North Texas Spine Care @ Baylor

Comment

Working...
              X