PDA

View Full Version : exercise after fusion

Sandra
01-31-2005, 07:56 AM
what are the best exercises for strengthening the abdominal muscles after fusion??

LindaRacine
01-31-2005, 11:51 AM
Sandra...

You should work with a physical therapist who can design the best exercise for you. It's difficult to do ab strengthening correctly, especially without using the muscles directly connected to the spine.

--Linda

spincon58
02-02-2005, 10:54 PM
Hi,
I'm at this stage now..I can do plenty but abdominals are the hardest...I lay down and do pelvic tilts and I bring my legs up and down like i;m marching....I also sit on a excercise ball and slowlylay back and than I bring myself up while my hands are crossed on my chest..I can only do a few but I'm getting better at it..I learned all this with my physcaial therapist...also always hold your stomack in when u walk or drive or anytime u remember..that can increase core strenghth and help! Good luck

Sandra
02-10-2005, 09:18 PM
Thanks LindaRacine. I am going to see a PT tomorrow to learn some good exercises to strengthen my lower back.

suejeryl
02-11-2005, 08:55 AM
have fun at physical therapy! i am one week into pt and it has made me feel stronger and more energetic already. i fancy that after a week's work i can actually see an abdominal muscle here and there; what a relief! i feel rotten today with allergy stuff but i'm going to pt anyway because i can't imagine skipping even one session....

Sandra
02-11-2005, 06:00 PM
SueJeryl, what kind of exercises does your pT do with you?
I went to PT for the 1st time today, since my surgery 20 years ago! It was mainly just assessment today.
Sandra

suejeryl
02-11-2005, 08:11 PM
hi, sandra! you could open any "healthy back" kind of book and see the exercises i do in pt: i get on all fours, lift my abs up and in, and sqeeeeeeeeze. i "punch up" with my shoulder blades in this position (separate exercise) to relieve stress in my neck and back. i work on the pilates reformer a bit to strengthen my legs and my shoulder blade area. i do some stretches for my front hip muscles so i can stand up straighter. i ride the bike for a little bit. i am surprised by how much i can do, especially since i would NEVER do any of these things on my own without having someone show me the right way!