PDA

View Full Version : Shake those hips?

thatrobyno
01-03-2013, 08:34 PM
If you are fused to sacrum, can you wiggle your hips? Specifically -- If you were doing the cha-cha or mambo, would anyone else know it?

golfnut
01-03-2013, 08:41 PM
I can do the cha-cha and mambo well enough that I don't think anyone would know that I'm fused, but I can't do a lot of the zumba movements.

thatrobyno
01-03-2013, 08:59 PM
...but I can't do a lot of the zumba movements.

I know this sounds weird -- but can you explain what movement you can't do? Shaking your hips from side to side, I'm guessing?

That's good news about you being able to dance in a non-Zumba setting :)

Confusedmom
01-04-2013, 12:08 AM
I can't shake/wiggle my hips separately from the rest of my torso, but I can kind of move the whole thing. No pelvic thrusting, tho! Lol.

thatrobyno
01-04-2013, 12:45 PM
I can't shake/wiggle my hips separately from the rest of my torso, but I can kind of move the whole thing. No pelvic thrusting, tho! Lol.

First, you gave me a good laugh about the thrusting. Second, does it feel weird when you try to move areas of your body that are immobile now? Or are you used to it!

Confusedmom
01-04-2013, 03:29 PM
I guess I'm used to it. It doesn't feel weird. Just something I cannot do. Imagine yourself in a hard-plastic or metal brace. That's what it feels like. You can move the muscles on the surface, but the bones don't move.

golfnut
01-04-2013, 07:39 PM
The side to side movements feel more natural, but the zumba movements I'm talking about are more the front and back hip movements that I can't really do. I still go to Zumba classes and at least feel like I'm getting a work out (I stay in the back row) On a brighter note, I am tap dancing in the front line!

thatrobyno
01-05-2013, 12:39 PM
I guess I'm used to it. It doesn't feel weird. Just something I cannot do. Imagine yourself in a hard-plastic or metal brace. That's what it feels like. You can move the muscles on the surface, but the bones don't move.

I wish there was some way I could "practice" what it'll feel like to move with the fusion. I was actually thinking of belting a broomstick along my back and try to get stuff done around the house...

thatrobyno
01-05-2013, 12:41 PM
The side to side movements feel more natural, but the zumba movements I'm talking about are more the front and back hip movements that I can't really do. I still go to Zumba classes and at least feel like I'm getting a work out (I stay in the back row) On a brighter note, I am tap dancing in the front line!

I love that you tap dance! I've seen your pics! So inspired by them.

And it'd good to hear you can still participate in Zumba even if you can't thrust those hips forward and back!

hasteffen
01-07-2013, 07:09 PM
The best way I can describe how I felt post fusion closely related to how I felt when I wore my Boston brace as a child. It was quite odd to remember after all these years. I am 3 months post op and am surprosed at how well I can move already... although my husband may disagree with that statement (if you know what I mean ;) )

thatrobyno
01-08-2013, 02:32 PM
... although my husband may disagree with that statement (if you know what I mean ;) )

Dirty bird :)

But also, a very helpful bird. Thanks!