No announcement yet.

Questions about back muscles Post-op...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about back muscles Post-op...

I'm about 3 months post-op and just had a question regarding muscles...

I've noticed that I have a lot more "strength" in my right side of my back, I really notice this when pushing a grocery cart and turning it that it feels like my back muscles on the right side are doing all of the work and the left ones are non-existent.

Anyone else have anything similiar? Just curious. Will ask my physical therapist when I go back next week, but just find it concerning...No pain, just can feel them tighten, whereas I don't feel anything on the left...

I haven't had surgery, but know someone who has. She is fused from T2 to L1, I think. She has muscle atrophy between her shoulder blades. I'm also wondering if some of it isn't numbness from the surgery. I hope you get your answers.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

From what I can tell

The muscles on my left side never really worked properly... Now that they are aligned they are learning to do things for the first time... And therefore they are weaker... Just what I've noticed in pt. hopefully overtime it will equal out

Comment

Our muscle systems are most certainly imbalanced.....I first felt it back in 1969 doing sit ups when I was around 10 years old and I wondered what that was all about.??? As I aged, there was no doubt that I had muscle imbalance issues.

Some of the feelings we have after surgery can be very strange, groups of different muscles will tighten upon certain motions, I had a group of paraspinal’s over my thoracic that I questioned my surgeon about and he told me that it should mellow out in time. It did.

The stretching and rebuilding process after my second year was a slow process for me in regards to skiing....It seemed I was improving, but when tested while skiing, I could tell I had a long way to go. I thought I was strong but this was the acid test. I couldn’t handle the “G'” forces past 25 mph. It was discouraging and almost quit skiing but kept going.

When we have our surgeries, our systems do get disturbed and have to readjust.....and this can take a long time. Muscles will build back up, and nerves will heal and feelings will desensitize. My muscles still feel unbalanced in my back, but both sides have equalized as much as they will.......I don’t think anyone can judge the outcome of their surgeries for at least a year or more....

Both of you, Hannah and Sarah have a while to go......your both early in your recoveries and remember to be patient, it will all work out in the end.

I have recovered. I now worry about things like plantar fasciitis, dry eye, how much booze is in the eggnog and which “word game” I will be forced to play today.....(smiley face)

Merry Christmas
        Ed
        Last edited by titaniumed; 12-25-2012, 12:00 PM.
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
        X