surgery ,then couple years later-complications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgery ,then couple years later-complications

Is it pretty fair to say that a good percentage of people who have had a fusion surgery have felt better for a couple years,then after 2-2and a half years a good percentage of them start getting complications or further problems caused by the first surgrey and end up getting a second surgery ?
    I have been researching different places on the web and i am finding this to be the case very often. This makes me think harder about going thru with the surgery the first time.Keeps me thinking that i will end up with even more problems then I have now.

No, I don't believe that's correct. Please check out the outcome studies on my website, including several that are very long term:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/Outcomes.htm
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi scoliosis guy,

Your post rang a bell with me. The thing that one of my PTs always used to say to me when I said the same thing is that, most of the time, it's anxious/in pain people who go online for information - people not worried and successfully healed are usually out getting on with their lives and living happily after the surgery. While acknowledging the risk of these surgeries, I tend to agree with my PT that only thinking about what's online can be deceptive.

You could also ask a couple of surgeons about their own success rates, that might help put your mind at ease.

Laura
      30y/o
      Upper curve around 55
      Lower curve around 35

Comment

That's an excellent point Laura!

A few people I've spoken to about scoliosis have an incredibly bad picture of the surgery because a lot of people you see at online at forums generally are people who are either newly diagnosed and looking for info on scoliosis treatment, or in a brace and having trouble with it or had a surgery that didn't turn out well...
        I can name several people in my life who have had just fantastic results from their surgeries... I don't know anybody in real life whose surgery outcome was bad...
        Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
        Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
        Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
        Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
        February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
        September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Complications 2 years out?

This is just the husband of a patient who had the surgery 11 months ago, but we both have the utmost confidence in her surgeon, Dr John Regan, who heads the 'spinal disorders' unit at Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Beverly Hills. He was a continuing picture of calm, reason, and competence, and I could never recommend any doctor more highly. For anyone in the western US, he's worth the trip out to California.
          Though we haven't reached Blair's 'magical' 2 to 2 1/2 year mark post-surgery, I have no doubts that we'll fly by that and continue to see the improvements that have been occurring since the surgery. Ted

Comment

Working...
          X