Can we discuss infection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we discuss infection?

In my research, I've been reading a lot about the dangers of infection. And that some infections don't even show up for up to eight years after surgery. That paralyzed me with fear. I've had a couple yoga students who suffered bone infections (they had screws in other areas of their bodies, not in their spines) and their infections created horrible troubles, long hospital stays, long-term side-effects of medication. One had to have a short amputation.

What have your experiences been? Have you had troubles at all?

I haven't, but it was my #1 fear going in to this surgery. There are a few members here who've experienced infection post-surgery. Perhaps a search for "infection" might find them and their stories. Also, ask your surgeon when you see him what the risk is i.e. the percentage who acquire infection. I believe that individual hospital's infection rates can be Googled, as well.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
      I haven't, but it was my #1 fear going in to this surgery. There are a few members here who've experienced infection post-surgery. Perhaps a search for "infection" might find them and their stories. Also, ask your surgeon when you see him what the risk is i.e. the percentage who acquire infection. I believe that individual hospital's infection rates can be Googled, as well.
      Great idea about googling the hospital where I'd get the surgery done! Smart lady

Comment

just a note about looking up hospital infection rates...
        that has been discussed here before...
        Linda usually points out that some of the smaller hospitals with
        lower infection rates do not do as many complicated and serious
        surgeries as scoli surgeries tend to be...

i am not sure if i am explaining that right...
        (Linda...tried to ask you about this, but your private message mailbox is full)

jess
        Last edited by jrnyc; 12-15-2012, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thatrobyno View Post
          In my research, I've been reading a lot about the dangers of infection. And that some infections don't even show up for up to eight years after surgery. That paralyzed me with fear. I've had a couple yoga students who suffered bone infections (they had screws in other areas of their bodies, not in their spines) and their infections created horrible troubles, long hospital stays, long-term side-effects of medication. One had to have a short amputation.

What have your experiences been? Have you had troubles at all?
          Hi...

I haven't had an infection, but certainly know a lot of people who have had them. Infection is probably the most common risk in any big surgery. I don't think I know anyone whose infection didn't eventually get resolved. Some people only need a single wash out and antibiotics for a short time, while others have had to have multiple surgeries, some eventually having to remove their implants, and antibiotics for a very long time. There are risk factors that can increase your risk of infection, but if you don't have any of those risk factors, your risk of getting an infection following surgery is probably somewhere between 5-10%. The good news is that just about everyone I know who has ever had a postop infection eventually is happy with their outcome.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
            Some people only need a single wash out and antibiotics for a short time, while others have had to have multiple surgeries, some eventually having to remove their implants, and antibiotics for a very long time.
            That scares the bejeebers out of me!

Comment

Sorry, it was meant to be reassuring. :-) The fact that people go on to say that they're happy with their outcome says a lot. Infections are serious, and definitely make recovery much more difficult, but I've never known anyone who wasn't relatively happy in the end (at least as far as the infection clearing up). One of the few people I know who ended up having to have her implants removed is probably one of the happiest, but she had a good attitude all along, so her outcome was probably a bit preordained.

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                Sorry, it was meant to be reassuring. :-) The fact that people go on to say that they're happy with their outcome says a lot. Infections are serious, and definitely make recovery much more difficult, but I've never known anyone who wasn't relatively happy in the end (at least as far as the infection clearing up). One of the few people I know who ended up having to have her implants removed is probably one of the happiest, but she had a good attitude all along, so her outcome was probably a bit preordained.

--Linda
                Thank you. That sounds a little less horrifying

Comment

Working...
                X