Pelvic pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pelvic pain

Last night I rode in the van for 30 mins each way on a rather bumpy road. We saw a Christmas show at the Memorial Auditorium downtown. I was nervous about sitting in the theater seats but they ended up being more comfortable post-op than they've been during the past 10 years. I was thrilled to sit comfortably throughout the show. But the drive back home... OUCH.

My surgery has my spine fixed to my pelvis with bolts. You can see the post-op x-ray here.
    http://allsparkledup.com/2012/10/23/...iosis-surgery/

To those of you with similar fixation, how long was it till you didn't hurt after a car ride? It felt like my right hip bone was splitting. I spent the day against a heating pad today and that helped a lot. I'm still not able to drive yet because it hurts to lift my right leg to press a gas pedal or brake.

I am in my 11th week after surgery. I had to quit taking pain meds over three weeks ago because of adverse affects (very high blood pressure and constant rapid heartbeat) so I have to be extra careful since all I've got is Tylenol at this point. If I hold very still, and move slowly and carefully during the day, I can bring my pain level down to about a 2 with no pain medication. But I really want to start getting out. Last night the pain was probably a 10, based on my crying and hyperventilating. But this evening it's down to about 5.

How does bone heal? At 11 weeks, how strong is the bone in all the drilled holes? Able to withstand a bumpy car ride?

Thank you kindly.
    1973 Age 15 diagnosed with scoliosis but told too old for surgery.
    2001 age 43 told too old for surgery, did physical therapy & traction.
    2001 to 2008 Intermittent use of home traction machine and TENS unit.
    2009 traction no longer effective - physical therapy.
    2011 More physical therapy. 2012 Collapsing scoliosis - MRI before surgery
    At age 53, surgery on October 2nd, 2012 with Dr Hey
    Fusion with titanium rods and bolts from T1 to pelvis.
    Post op x-ray

Cars were uncomfortable for close to a year. The good news is that i can sit in a car in reasonable comfort. I haven't tried anything longer than 2 hours, however.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

JuliaAnn

Not bad for 11 weeks! I see you are pushing the limits....it happens to all of us. Sitting takes time to get used to but you will get there.

It took me a while to get used to the car and removed the car pillow after around 9 months. Heated seats in a car are the ticket. If you don’t have them now, consider them in your next vehicle....I can drive 12 hours now if I have to and do pretty well.

Practice your heel lifts standing at the kitchen counter!!!!! Do them often. This will help with your feet.

Screws actually are torqued into bone at around 15NM. (That’s Newton meters). Anyway, they are in there snug as a bug and actually bone adheres to the flanks of the threads. Your construct is very strong and as you fuse, this only gets stronger as time passes. Textbooks will say 12 months for bone to fuse, but can happen sooner.

Breathe deep!!!! In hard and hold for a second or two. This is very helpful....

Always look forward and smile because there is a lot to smile about. Take things a day at a time and soon more better days will come.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thanks for the details, Ed! I didn't know I was "pushing myself" but you're right, the pain I still have two days later must be evidence. It is SO hard to figure out how to pace myself. My stitches are all healed up, I have energy, I can move round fairly well now. But I can't handle ANY bumps or jolts and I don't know I've made a mistake until after the fact.

Thanks for explaining the bolts. I really appreciate that. I was picturing the long bolts wallowing around in fragile holes of bone jello, not exactly a picture of stability. Then I imagined my spine frantically telling me to give it a break and let things settle up a bit as the bone cells were working overtime trying to fill in spaces.

I didn't think to put a pillow on the car seat. That would have helped greatly to buffer the jolts. We've had the same vehicle for years and don't plan on getting another one. But I'll definitely look into some kind of portable heating unit for the seat. A heating pad at home makes a big difference so that would be good in a vehicle.

12 months for the bone to fully harden, huh... My husband and sons (ages 17 to 21 still at home) are fine with me taking months to repair. But I'm going to have to work on patience. My own ambition is annoying me.
        1973 Age 15 diagnosed with scoliosis but told too old for surgery.
        2001 age 43 told too old for surgery, did physical therapy & traction.
        2001 to 2008 Intermittent use of home traction machine and TENS unit.
        2009 traction no longer effective - physical therapy.
        2011 More physical therapy. 2012 Collapsing scoliosis - MRI before surgery
        At age 53, surgery on October 2nd, 2012 with Dr Hey
        Fusion with titanium rods and bolts from T1 to pelvis.
        Post op x-ray

Comment

i love the Eiffel Tower reference in your blog...
          sounds so accurate when looking at your X ray...
          and it made me laugh....

jess...& Sparky

Comment

Working...
          X