Surgery At 50 Degrees!! Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery At 50 Degrees!! Help!!

I have posted here in the past, but there seems to be an update with my situation.

My doctor is NOT very pushy about surgery with 50 degrees (middle of spine), because it seems that it would be PURELY for cosmetic reasons.

But, really, whats worse a long-ass scar down my back or a little (and I REALLY mean tiny) hump that you have to look hard to find??

I am 16 (almost 17) and if my curve CONTINUES to remain at 50 throughout adulthood, is it worth it to do surgery? Of course, should it get ANY worse I would immediately go for surgery.

Thanks guys!

Billz...

I think there's a good chance that your curve will increase, and that you'll eventually need surgery. But, there's also some chance that you'll never need surgery.

I would personally never rush into surgery. It's big, risky, and pretty painful.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi
      I had a curve of 50 degrees and had surgery last year. I had surgery because my curve was most definately to increase in adulthood, most likely causing me alot of pain.
      In my opinion I think surgery is the best thing you can possibly do

Jules xxx
      15 with a 50 degree curve
      Had surgery now have 2 metal rods in my back

Comment

I had surgery for a 52 degree curve.
        At the time of my surgery, I was 20, and the curve was unstable and continuing to increase. It was cosmetically unattractive (very unbalanced), and I also had a fair amount of pain from it.

At this point, your surgery would be elective, but if you don't go the surgical route now, please keep monitoring it for progression. Smaller curves in younger people are usually easier to correct than larger curves in older people.

I may have a scar down my back, but because of my surgery, I am pretty well straight as a string, and I don't have to worry that my back is going to progess, and my back doesn't hurt anymore. My choice was the right one for me.
        Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
        Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
        Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
        Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
        February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
        September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

So in order words, you guys are saying that if it does NOT get any worse, it is NOT very noticable at all, if it does NOT bother me and if it does NOT increase, that I should NOT do the surgery?

Like I said, if there are obvious signs that it is getting WORSE, I will obviously do the surgery, but what if it stays at 50 for the rest of my life?

Comment

Billz45,
            If you are asking for another opinion, I would like to say I think in 4 to 5 months you will have an answer that will tell you whether you should consider more seriously THE surgery or not.
            What I mean is I and if I remember 2 or 3 other moms besides me observed the curve of our child go from upper 40 degrees to mid sixties within 4 months of which we had scheduled the surgery. I hope yours stays at 50 but just monitor it VERY closely.
            What did the Dr say about a brace? 50 degress is beyond the brace option I think.
            Why don't you go for another opinion? It may answer things that you have not considered or at least give you another perspective.
            Regardless, we are all here to support you whatever your decision as we can relate to your situation.
            Please keep us posted, mamakay
            now 16 yr old daughter
            with worsen 65 degree upper curve
            surgery Nov 3, 04

Comment

Dear Mamakay,

My doctor was VERY hopeful from the beginning, as I came with 70 degrees curve a couple of years ago. My posture is now MUCH better, I’m a lot more flexible and I get a general feeling that she REALLY doesn’t want me to go thru this surgery because it is generally a hard thing, and of course there ARE risks.

For almost 4 years now, I have been able to decrease from 70 to 50 with the brace and exercises, and they are hoping that it will either stay just below 50 and NOT increase.

I actually wish that I was NOT in such a bad place, as 50 is EXACTLY the surgery boarder. I either wish I was at 30 or at 80 or 80, because this would make my decision SO much easier.

As far as other doctor’s opinions, I don’t really know how to do that. My mom and I have went to this one doctor (and the brace and physiotherapy person) for years and I’m really not sure how to go about another opinion.

I live in Toronto and I’m not sure they have endscopic surgery yet, and I’m REALLY concerned about the scar too.

Again, thank you all so much.

Comment

Hi Bill,

I am in a similar situation to yours so I thought I would to add to what the others have written. I know exactly what you mean about being frustrated at being "borderline" for surgery. This is my story, and if you want to communicate via email I would be happy to do so.

My curves were at around 40 degrees upper curve and around 30 degrees lower curve when I stopped growing at age 17. At that time in the UK 40 degrees was exactly the cut-off point for surgery, so I did not have it. Now I am 29 years old, and my curve is measuring around 48 top curve and still around 30 bottom curve.

I had assumed that if my curve had worsened I would automatically be told I should get the surgery - especially given that it is better to do surgery younger rather than older. But in fact, out of three surgeons I consulted last year, only one surgeon advised surgery for me at this point. The other two surgeons told me that even though my curves had progressed over the past ten years, they could also "hold" steady without causing many problems for another ten years or more. In their opinions, it would be better to live as I am rather than do the fusion and instrumentation with the risks they entail. When I asked one surgeon at what degree curve I should start considering surgery, he said that I should wait until the upper curve got to around 55-60 degrees or more.

I find it a very difficult position to be in, getting up every day and being anxious about maybe one day having to have surgery, and all the "what ifs" that entails. But after two well-respected doctors have told me to hold off, I can only think that they must have their reasons for considering me to be better off as I am now rather than with the fusion. I don't know how common scoliosis surgeons are in Canada, but if possible, I would also go for a second opinion. It was only having two opinions against surgery that really made me accept this decision to "wait ad see."

Hope this is of some use. Take care ~Laura
                ps could you tell me which surgeon/hospital you went to in Toronto? I am interviewing for a job in London, ON, and am concerned about finding a scoliosis surgeon in that area.
                30y/o
                Upper curve around 55
                Lower curve around 35

Comment

By the way everyone, does anyone know if my situation, MINIMALLY INVASIVE SURGERY would be a good idea.

I am in Canada, so I don't know if they do this. This seems like an EXCELLENT alternative......no one foot scar.......maybe 2 one inch scars....amazing.

Thank you all VERY much for your time.

Comment

Whether you;re a candidate for it or not really depends on the nature of your curves...
                    They do have surgeons who do minimally invasive surgery in Canada.... (one of my friends had the anterior section of her anterior/posterior surgery done minimally invasive)
                    My understanding is that minimally invasive is used on smaller curves that are flexible...
                    Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
                    Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
                    Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
                    Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
                    February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
                    September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Thank you for your reply Blair.

Would you have any idea WHERE they do this in Canada? Almost everyone I have talked to says that they do NOT do it. I live in Toronto.

What do you mean by 'flexible' as a requirement?

Thanks!!!!

Comment

op

i had the same degree of scoliosis & i had the operation in september. i had nearly no pain & my scar is on my side... it curves up & around but if use this stuff called BIO-OIL then it fades very quickly. the operation was the best thing i could've done so i think u should have it but its completely up 2 u.

Btw im new here... Hi!
                        *ANGIE* 14-15 y/o
                        had operation in september 2004
                        a rod was put in:T10-L3
                        My curve was 50* & is now 7*
                        "All that glitters is not always gold & diamonds in the rough do not always shine"

Comment

Working...
                        X