No announcement yet.

66 years old tomorrow....62 degree thoracic 48 degree lumbar 3/4 " short leg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66 years old tomorrow....62 degree thoracic 48 degree lumbar 3/4 " short leg

I have read many of the posts and I can relate to most of them. I discovered my scoliosis at around 14 years old. At the time, they had no solutions. When I tried to enlist at 18, I was rejected due to the scoliosis; otherwise I was Ok until I hit 60. The joints started to fail. Left hip arthritis and general soreness after golf. I was a pretty good player until scoliosis and age caught up with me. Although I still play, I limit it to about 9 holes. I decided about 3 years ago to do something about the daily discomfort. I had x-rays taken of my curves and legs. (see title of this thread for results) I bought a 1/2 " lift orthotic and wear it always. I do daily programs made up of Yoga, stretches and Tai Chi. I am fairly confident I have changed my curves but I have not been re-measured. I still have daily discomfort, but now it is because I am using muscles that have been dormant for many years. My posture is much better and I am stronger. (I also hit the golf ball farther)

Here are two videos I found that I do daily.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TWtrCmzaOw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pIHF4eY0Ag

The yoga program I use is too large to post.
    If someone wants to contact me directly, my email is rkochis65@gmail.com
    I have some other worthwhile reading material also.

Happy Birthday to you!

Welcome! I am 66....happy birthday! You sound like quite a determined and active woman. Aren't you considering doing something about your curves? I imagine that you have read about or have met Sally. The video of her postoperative golf swing is inspiring!

I have not had scoliosis for too long, but have not had surgery, but feel that the degeneration and gravity heave caught up with me. We'll see.

Again, welcome. There is a great group of us older women on the forum, all of whom are busy and active. I am in Fiji right now doing medical work inspite of moderate pain....sometimes difficult but to give up is not an option.

Hope that your birthday celebration is wild and crazy, Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Sorry for the confusion. I am 100 % male.

Comment

Originally posted by rkochis View Post
        Sorry for the confusion. I am 100 % male.
        Sorry about the assumption. Glad to have you on the forum.
        Susan....check out "golf nut" and her swing. Golf is still a possibility after surgery.
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
        X