Back pain caused by illness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back pain caused by illness?

My dd was fused 5 yrs ago at the age of 15. Her fusion is from T4-L4. She's been doing well the past several years with only minor aches and pains. Before Thanksgiving, she started feeling sick and had a sore throat (it wasn't strep or flu). Along with not feeling well, she also started having a lot of pain under her left shoulder blade. She came home for Thanksgiving and was supposed to return Sunday, but she was in so much pain that she ended up staying through Wed., which was unfortunate, because she needed to be back at school preparing for finals. She managed the pain with prescription ibuprofen but it was upsetting her stomache so cut back as much as possible. She said the pain fluctuates but still there after 2 weeks.

Has anyone else experienced this type of pain after a viral illness? Any ideas what it's caused by and best way to treat it?

Hello,
    I haven't had a fusion, but I do get increased back pain during/after illness. I'm not quite sure why. If your daughter's pain isn't better, it might not hurt to get her tested for a longer lasting illness like mono. My son got sick with that when he was about 10 and it lasted a very long time. I hope you daughter gets better soon.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Haven't visited this sight in awhile, but am here today for the same thing you describe! I am 20+ years post op and hardly ever have trouble. I have a slight cold or allergies and am having a lot of pain under my left shoulder blade and near the left side of my top screw and can't figure out why! Did you guys find out anything or have success with treatment?
      Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
      Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

Sounds like you should both go see your primary care docs. I am wondering about possible infection in the lung causing back pain. Hope you both are feeling better soon!

Evelyn
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

The nerve pain and swelling (? I assume there was swelling because I couldn't stick my shoulder blade out) has subsided and now just a lot of itching, which makes me think it was definitely nerve related. I have an appt at a new spine place, but it's not for another week. I think it was related to the cold, because they improved at the same time.
          Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
          Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

Working...
          X