Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamuna Body Rolling Technique

Hi everyone,

I am 1 1/2 yrs post op and consider myself to be very physically active by walking, playing tennis and light weight-work. I continue to experience extreme tightness in my upper thoracic area (especially left side) when I stand or sit straight up, but it eases when I lie down or sit back like in a recliner. It doesn't help that my hamstrings are extremely tight too. I try to do various stretches. I am trying to find ways to release those tight muscles at their very source. I came across the technique of Yamuna body rolling.
    I use a tennis ball to sometimes deal with small areas so I thought that using a larger ball may be more beneficial with more widespread tightness. I realize that with a fused spine, I would have to make modifications though. So is anyone familiar with body rolling or have found it to help in dealing with post-surgical muscle tightness? Thanks for any insight that you may have.

Donna
    Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
    Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
    Fused T3-L3
    60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
    Tennis player & returning to the courts!
    http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

I haven't had surgery yet but I use the Yamuna balls pretty regularly now to ease the muscle tightness and help with the back pain. My pilates instructor who is also a PT is a big proponent of them. I use the balls along with a very hard foam roller to roll out all of my various neck, back, pec and leg kinks. I don't know if they're recommended after surgery - I would be very interested in hearing what you learn.

Comment

Working...
    X