Handling Babies Post-Op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handling Babies Post-Op

Has anyone dealt with handling babies under the age of one during the first year post-op?

I am currently almost three months post-op. Just had my first post-op appointment last week and passed with flying colors... was cleared for stooping/crouching, biking, swimming, being more mobile...

This is a "complicated" situation that has JUST popped up, but within the next few months we may be faced with the situation of taking custody (maybe temporary/maybe permanent) of a newborn because of a family member being incapable of taking care of him...

I just wanted to see if anyone has experience with children within first year post-op...

Thanks.

Originally posted by HannahCP View Post
    Has anyone dealt with handling babies under the age of one during the first year post-op?

I am currently almost three months post-op. Just had my first post-op appointment last week and passed with flying colors... was cleared for stooping/crouching, biking, swimming, being more mobile...

This is a "complicated" situation that has JUST popped up, but within the next few months we may be faced with the situation of taking custody (maybe temporary/maybe permanent) of a newborn because of a family member being incapable of taking care of him...

I just wanted to see if anyone has experience with children within first year post-op...

Thanks.
    Hi Hannah,

We had a 7 month granddaughter when I had surgery and I didn't really pick her up until I was 6 months post op. By then she was over 1. But at that stage, I was allowed to lift 10 kilos. A newborn would be perhaps 7-8 pounds, but not for long. I think it might be wise to speak to your surgeon about this situation. It will be fine to have the baby in your lap/arms whilst you are sitting, but picking him up will mean bending as well as lifting. Ditto changing nappies. I hope you can work out some way to do this without taking any chances. Good luck Hannah.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
    X