PDA

View Full Version : Handling Babies Post-Op

HannahCP
11-25-2012, 10:51 PM
Has anyone dealt with handling babies under the age of one during the first year post-op?

I am currently almost three months post-op. Just had my first post-op appointment last week and passed with flying colors... was cleared for stooping/crouching, biking, swimming, being more mobile...

This is a "complicated" situation that has JUST popped up, but within the next few months we may be faced with the situation of taking custody (maybe temporary/maybe permanent) of a newborn because of a family member being incapable of taking care of him...

I just wanted to see if anyone has experience with children within first year post-op...

Thanks.

JenniferG
11-26-2012, 02:09 AM
Has anyone dealt with handling babies under the age of one during the first year post-op?

I am currently almost three months post-op. Just had my first post-op appointment last week and passed with flying colors... was cleared for stooping/crouching, biking, swimming, being more mobile...

This is a "complicated" situation that has JUST popped up, but within the next few months we may be faced with the situation of taking custody (maybe temporary/maybe permanent) of a newborn because of a family member being incapable of taking care of him...

I just wanted to see if anyone has experience with children within first year post-op...

Thanks.

Hi Hannah,

We had a 7 month granddaughter when I had surgery and I didn't really pick her up until I was 6 months post op. By then she was over 1. But at that stage, I was allowed to lift 10 kilos. A newborn would be perhaps 7-8 pounds, but not for long. I think it might be wise to speak to your surgeon about this situation. It will be fine to have the baby in your lap/arms whilst you are sitting, but picking him up will mean bending as well as lifting. Ditto changing nappies. I hope you can work out some way to do this without taking any chances. Good luck Hannah.