Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preparing for surgery date...need suggestions!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing for surgery date...need suggestions!!

Hello all! I hope everyone's thanksgiving was great and pain free! As some of you know, my surgery date is only 4 weeks away (jan 3!!) and I am so grateful that the time is flying by as I am in a great deal of pain...but my mind is in overdrive. I am an anxious person to begin with but lately I can't even think straight and I know I have so much to prepare and get ready but I don't know where to start. Anyone with any suggestions on what I need and things I should get in order would be greatly appreciated.
    38 yo with 71* left thoracolumbar curve from untreated AIS dx'd @ age 10. Surgery on for Jan 3, 2013 with Dr.'s Robertson and http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ps321159d8.jpg. Spinal Fusion with instrumentation from T2-L4.

Same boat

Jennilee, I am in the same oat. My surgery is just days after yours. Under Linda's signature, there is an attachment that has lots of information on what to purchase. Not sure you have received my PM. If we are able to meet today, I will make a copy for you. It's about 11 pages long. I, too, have to start purchases things. So everyone out there, can you tell me,ours, does health insurance cover things such as grabbers and raised toilet seats? I was also wondering if anyone has ever hears of the bottom buddy. I did not see that on the list, but understand it is very helpful.

Libby

Comment

This is what you will definitely need:
      Those fuzzy blankets
      Socks to keep your feet warm
      Chapstick
      Pajamas(my surgeon told me to get out of the hospital gown because those were for sick people and I'm not sick XD It felt better too)

Optional but recomended:
      Dry shampoo
      Disposable toothbrushes
      Hair brush
      Some sort of entertainment(my room had a tv and I remember it would be 3-4 am and I'm watching tv)
      Food that you like to eat

Comment

Hi Libby...

It depends on your insurance company. I think most companies supply the basics (grabber, sock puller, long handled shoe horn, long handled sponge). My insurance company (Anthem Blue Cross) did not supply a raised toilet seat or bedside commode.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Kat3573 and anyone else who can answer these questions,

how do you know what size pajamas you will fit into once you are wearing a brace? I'm guessing bottoms with ties will work best, but what about the tops. Kat, do you need a fuzzy blanket and socks in the hospital or when you return home?

Comment

Once again, I didn’t prepare at all....Have your spouse or someone from your inner circle buy the things you need as you go.

I think the foam topper is a must, 2-4 inches think. It helps with sleeping when you get home. Buy soft down pillows, the softest you can find....you will use them for years.

2 bottles of Magnesium Citrate, one for each side of your holster. Practice your draw till you get as fast as Doc Holliday.
            I found Colace couldn’t handle it after a few weeks....and was told not to use x-lax. Prune juice seems to be preferred around here.
            Have a six pack of pedialyte in the fridge.

My grabber was supplied by my insurance company. If this doesn’t happen, BBQ tongs will work just fine. You will become adept at using your big toe for picking up small items off the floor, just grab and bend knee and grab from behind. I personally didn’t use my grabber after the 1st day, it was too much trouble looking for it.

On meds, you will be freezing all the time. Loose fitting clothes are easier to get on and off

My surgeon had me go to the Dentist. You don’t want any dental problems in your recovery. Mucho importante! When you go to the dentist, ask for supplies. They will give you toothbrushes for free.

I didn’t need any toilet devices....especially the one’s named “buddy” LOL Toilet devices really don’t need names....what’s with these marketing people anyway? (smiley face)

Kat mentioned Chapstick.....would you believe that my hospital didn’t have Chapstick?

Linda’s preparing for surgery list
            http://scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm

Didactially yours

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by Wish2bstraight View Post
              Kat3573 and anyone else who can answer these questions,

how do you know what size pajamas you will fit into once you are wearing a brace? I'm guessing bottoms with ties will work best, but what about the tops. Kat, do you need a fuzzy blanket and socks in the hospital or when you return home?
              I didn't have to wear a brace after surgery but in you case I would get a lose one the one with th elastic or adjustable pants with a lose shirt

U need a blanket during the hospital stay because the blankets there are crappy and ur feet will be cold but u can use them for home too

Where are ur levels that u will be operated on?

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                Once again, I didn’t prepare at all....Have your spouse or someone from your inner circle buy the things you need as you go

Ed
                Thanks everyone! Ed, I don't have a spouse or even an inner circle. I will be doing this solo so that's why I'm trying to prepare in the next 4 weeks as much as possible. Kat3573, thank you for the staying warm tips, I'm always cold now lol so I'm sure I'll need all of the cozy comforts I can get! Libby, I hope you received my pm and we can definitely help each other along through recovery!! I am going to print Linda's list out in the next few days and try to start buying whatever I can now.
                38 yo with 71* left thoracolumbar curve from untreated AIS dx'd @ age 10. Surgery on for Jan 3, 2013 with Dr.'s Robertson and http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ps321159d8.jpg. Spinal Fusion with instrumentation from T2-L4.

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                  I didn’t need any toilet devices....especially the one’s named “buddy” LOL Toilet devices really don’t need names....what’s with these marketing people anyway? (smiley face)
                  LOL

This is why Ti Ed is one of the (unofficial) spokesmodels in this sandbox. :-)

Maybe adults are different but there was very little either of my kids needed in the hospital. The only thing they used from home was their IPods to my recollection. What they were wearing wasn't registering compared to everything else that was going on. They did like the hair shampooing that an aide did for them.
                  Last edited by Pooka1; 11-25-2012, 03:38 PM.
                  Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                  Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Pajamas

Wouldn't pajamas waistline (even the string one) irritate the scar? Did you guys feel Ok wearing pajama bottoms or night gowns are better in the beginning?
                    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

I came home in pj's wearing a corset brace and laying on a mattress in the back of a van. It was that or an ambulance for my doctor wouldn't let me recline for a two pus hour ride home. Yes the shampoo hair wash by the aide was a blessing.. I got my shower seat and toliet seat and walker from the hospital. As far as grabbers, I was not given any for I was told to have someone else do it for me. Don't over think things too much, I tend to do that and it only makes it worse. If you have a church family that is willing to help bring meals there is a great site someone can set up for you so not everything comes at once. Like Ed said, go ahead and put some magnesium citrate in the fridge and stay away from the lemon. It is the worst! Pillows and lots of them. I love my body pillows so when I roll on one side I can prop one behind my back and hold one. I never experienced being cold, just the opposite I had the nurses bring me a fan. But I am an odd creature. I will be praying for you will have sleepless nights wondering and thinking of everything you need to do or forgot. Good luck!

Tamena
                      Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Originally posted by tae_tap View Post
                        I never experienced being cold, just the opposite I had the nurses bring me a fan. But I am an odd creature.
                        No actually one of my kids was the same as you and was hot in the hospital. We set the room temp very low and I wore a light jacket when I was in there. The other kid not so much but I don't recall her ever being cold.
                        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

"I didn’t need any toilet devices....especially the one’s named “buddy” LOL Toilet devices really don’t need names....what’s with these marketing people anyway? (smiley face)"

Thanks Ed, I doubt I'll get a better laugh today!
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I had a heated blanket that felt wonderful during my recovery. I attached a disposable razor to a long handled back brush. I bought extra pillows that I had for the bed and any place I planned to sit during the day. I bought an Ipad and signed up for Netflix and saw many good movies. I also had friends loan me many books. I am a card sender, so I bought all of the birthday, anniversary, wedding cards ahead of time that I would need for a few months.
                            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                            Rib Hump-GONE!
                            Age-60 at the time of surgery
                            Now 66
                            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by Irina View Post
                              Wouldn't pajamas waistline (even the string one) irritate the scar? Did you guys feel Ok wearing pajama bottoms or night gowns are better in the beginning?

I found that the irritation on the anterior scar was way worse than the posterior scar.....This does take some getting used to. I don’t wear belts too often because of this. Loose fitting clothes, wearing large sizes is the ticket. Elastic waist PJ bottoms and a large flannel shirt with buttons on the front is the easiest to get on and off. Use slip on shoes for the feet.

The foam topper really plays an important part if you have large scars on the front, back or the side. It is delicate when you roll over onto them and takes time to get used to....you also have a large bandage that will be over your scars, and when you roll onto them, it just pushes on the scars that much more.

I like the heated blanket idea.....I wish I had one at that time.... especially for a winter recovery.

I’m glad I provided some entertainment value here today....

Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                              X