Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling of Heaviness in the back

Hello,
    I had my surgery 3 months ago and am generally doing well. My 3 month visit was quiet good and my spine seems to be fusing ok. Pain is also under control. I had been wearing a brace post surgery probably because I had about 4 pedicles missing on the left side (congenital) and no screws there, so I guess my surgeon was being cautious. I am off brace for the last one week and my back feels very heavy as if it is trying to pull me down. I suspect that this is probably due to muscle weakness. Did anyone else experience this kind of heaviness? If so did it go away? Did you do anything special for it?

thanks,
    Congenital Scoliosis and Kyphosis
    Diagnosis at Age 42, Main Thoracolumbar curve 72 deg
    Surgery on Aug 15, 2012
    Fused T4 to L4, 2 SPOs

I didn't wear a brace, but, yes, my back feels heavy and like there is a lot of pressure all the time. It gets a little less noticeable as the months go by. I imagine increasing muscle strength would probably help, as well.
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Hi...

I wonder if it's actually a little swelling, which isn't uncommon. If you always wore the brace when you were up, fluids were unlikely to accumulate in your back. But, now that there's nothing holding your torso tightly, the fluids can settle there. Either way, I hope (and doubt) that it's anything to worry about.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks confusedmom and Linda,
        I don't notice swelling, mostly numb. Hopefully this too shall pass.
        Congenital Scoliosis and Kyphosis
        Diagnosis at Age 42, Main Thoracolumbar curve 72 deg
        Surgery on Aug 15, 2012
        Fused T4 to L4, 2 SPOs

Comment

Working...
        X