Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

25 days post op and don't know what to do about the constipation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 days post op and don't know what to do about the constipation?

What do you do about the constipation? Mirilax does weird things to me and colace isn't working

I had/have the same problem. I take Colace three times a dat and mylanta, but when it doesn't work I sip a little magnesium citrate. That will clean you fast! Not the whole bottle, just a tad.

Tamena
    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...t=constipation
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I just looked at the directions on magnesium citrate and for adults, it says 1/2 to 1 bottle or 5 to 10 ounces with each dose and follow with an 8 ounce glass of liquid.

We have seen people that say it doesn’t work, maybe treating it like “sippin whiskey” just doesn’t have the punch required to break up that dam....I know it doesn’t taste too great, but sometimes you just got to let er rip, and slam it. Toasting helps.

I sipped on pedialyte after to help restore lost electrolytes....it helps put the fire out. Rehydration is necessary. Fruit juices also work well for this.

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I usually start with half a bottle, if it doesn't help I gag the other half down. It really isn't that bad and you get used to it. It also comes in cherry flavor. : - )

Tamena
          Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Senna + Colace + Miralax + prune juice. Good luck!
            age 48
            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

I went 9 days and nothing happened, despite trying everything the hospital could give me. Then I tried this:

http://www.nu-lax.com/history/intro.htm

It worked in 3 hours. I only needed it the once. After that I alternated pear and prune juice and I've heard that if you heat the juice, it works better.

Good luck!
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

The magnesium citrate worked for me. I think I chugged the whole bottle. It was still a struggle for me the whole time I was on the pain medications. I drank warm plum juice, ate Fiber One Cereal, ate lots of other fiber, and took laxatives and stool softeners. Good luck. It was the worst part of recovery for me.
                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                Rib Hump-GONE!
                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Magnesium citrate is the way to go. Bleh! even the cherry flavor isnt appealing but much better than the lemon stuff but it definitely helps. You just have to drink it as fast as you can and chase it with water. Make sure it's cold (I put mine over ice and it was better than drinking it room temp.... Blah!

Good luck!

Comment

Hi retired Mom,
                    I tried Mag citrate, created a lot of grumbling and discomfort for me but no end result. I did down about half bottle. I really regretted taking this because of the discomfort. Probably I was too further down the road for Mag citrate to help. So I had to get an enema to void.
                    Once voided, its very important to keep ahead of constipation. I used to take 2 Colaces for Softening and 3 Sennakots in the night about 8 PM followed by a glass of warm prune juice. This helped me be regular from there on.
                    My family doctor also recommened adding Miralax to this in case I missed a day.
                    Congenital Scoliosis and Kyphosis
                    Diagnosis at Age 42, Main Thoracolumbar curve 72 deg
                    Surgery on Aug 15, 2012
                    Fused T4 to L4, 2 SPOs

Comment

Originally posted by rajma View Post
                      Hi retired Mom,
                      I tried Mag citrate, created a lot of grumbling and discomfort for me but no end result. I did down about half bottle. I really regretted taking this because of the discomfort. Probably I was too further down the road for Mag citrate to help. So I had to get an enema to void.
                      Once voided, its very important to keep ahead of constipation. I used to take 2 Colaces for Softening and 3 Sennakots in the night about 8 PM followed by a glass of warm prune juice. This helped me be regular from there on.
                      My family doctor also recommened adding Miralax to this in case I missed a day.
                      Just to be clear one colace each with lunch and dinner. That was the recommened dosage for me
                      Congenital Scoliosis and Kyphosis
                      Diagnosis at Age 42, Main Thoracolumbar curve 72 deg
                      Surgery on Aug 15, 2012
                      Fused T4 to L4, 2 SPOs

Comment

Working...
                      X