PDA

View Full Version : 25 days post op and don't know what to do about the constipation?

retired Mom
11-18-2012, 09:30 AM
What do you do about the constipation? Mirilax does weird things to me and colace isn't working

tae_tap
11-18-2012, 10:23 AM
I had/have the same problem. I take Colace three times a dat and mylanta, but when it doesn't work I sip a little magnesium citrate. That will clean you fast! Not the whole bottle, just a tad.

Tamena

LindaRacine
11-18-2012, 11:28 AM
http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?11636-Constipation&highlight=constipation

titaniumed
11-18-2012, 03:03 PM
I just looked at the directions on magnesium citrate and for adults, it says 1/2 to 1 bottle or 5 to 10 ounces with each dose and follow with an 8 ounce glass of liquid.

We have seen people that say it doesn’t work, maybe treating it like “sippin whiskey” just doesn’t have the punch required to break up that dam....I know it doesn’t taste too great, but sometimes you just got to let er rip, and slam it. Toasting helps.

I sipped on pedialyte after to help restore lost electrolytes....it helps put the fire out. Rehydration is necessary. Fruit juices also work well for this.

Ed

tae_tap
11-18-2012, 04:04 PM
I usually start with half a bottle, if it doesn't help I gag the other half down. It really isn't that bad and you get used to it. It also comes in cherry flavor. : - )

Tamena

Confusedmom
11-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Senna + Colace + Miralax + prune juice. Good luck! :)

JenniferG
11-19-2012, 07:49 PM
I went 9 days and nothing happened, despite trying everything the hospital could give me. Then I tried this:

http://www.nu-lax.com/history/intro.htm

It worked in 3 hours. I only needed it the once. After that I alternated pear and prune juice and I've heard that if you heat the juice, it works better.

Good luck!

golfnut
11-19-2012, 07:54 PM
The magnesium citrate worked for me. I think I chugged the whole bottle. It was still a struggle for me the whole time I was on the pain medications. I drank warm plum juice, ate Fiber One Cereal, ate lots of other fiber, and took laxatives and stool softeners. Good luck. It was the worst part of recovery for me.

HannahCP
11-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Magnesium citrate is the way to go. Bleh! even the cherry flavor isnt appealing but much better than the lemon stuff but it definitely helps. You just have to drink it as fast as you can and chase it with water. Make sure it's cold (I put mine over ice and it was better than drinking it room temp.... Blah!

Good luck!

rajma
11-20-2012, 09:28 AM
Hi retired Mom,
I tried Mag citrate, created a lot of grumbling and discomfort for me but no end result. I did down about half bottle. I really regretted taking this because of the discomfort. Probably I was too further down the road for Mag citrate to help. So I had to get an enema to void.
Once voided, its very important to keep ahead of constipation. I used to take 2 Colaces for Softening and 3 Sennakots in the night about 8 PM followed by a glass of warm prune juice. This helped me be regular from there on.
My family doctor also recommened adding Miralax to this in case I missed a day.

rajma
11-20-2012, 09:32 AM
Hi retired Mom,
I tried Mag citrate, created a lot of grumbling and discomfort for me but no end result. I did down about half bottle. I really regretted taking this because of the discomfort. Probably I was too further down the road for Mag citrate to help. So I had to get an enema to void.
Once voided, its very important to keep ahead of constipation. I used to take 2 Colaces for Softening and 3 Sennakots in the night about 8 PM followed by a glass of warm prune juice. This helped me be regular from there on.
My family doctor also recommened adding Miralax to this in case I missed a day.
Just to be clear one colace each with lunch and dinner. That was the recommened dosage for me