rib cage on top of hip??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rib cage on top of hip??

my right side rib cage is resting on top of my pelvis or hip or whatever and it has for a while now but lately it feels even more uncomfortable, almost like something is stuck there or grinding against bone. if that makes any sense. my question is has anyone else experienced this and if so, was there anything that gave you relief? its uncomfortable to sit for any period of time because it feels like my rib cage is collapsing on top of my hip and standing isnt great either because of my shift to the left it still feels like something is grinding. ugh 5 weeks is so far away. any suggestions?
    38 yo with 71* left thoracolumbar curve from untreated AIS dx'd @ age 10. Surgery on for Jan 3, 2013 with Dr.'s Robertson and http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ps321159d8.jpg. Spinal Fusion with instrumentation from T2-L4.

I had the exact same feeling only it was on the left side. The only relief I got was from my surgery this past July. My rib cage was lifted up about 2 inches away from my pelvis and I can now stand and walk without feeling like I am collapsing on the inside and no longer have the discomfort of my rib grinding over the edge of my pelvis. I felt all of this for about 8 months before my surgery. The weeks ahead will pass quickly and soon you will get the relief you need.
    Jane

Comment

I have exactly the same issue as you described. I could probably live with low back pain because it can be helped by laying down and decreasing activity level, but this rib on hip grinding is driving me crazy. I am doing yoga, but it doesn't help much with rib on hip issue. The main benefit of yoga (at least for me) is mental. It calms me down better than anything else.

I am sure your surgeon will be able to lift your ribs off the hips and give you relief. There definitely will be other pains, but I believe that this grinding feeling will go away right after the surgery.

Irina.
      Last edited by Irina; 11-14-2012, 05:51 PM.
      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

hi Jenilee
        did your surgeons ever mention spondylolisthesis to you...???

jess....& Sparky

Comment

These weeks will fly by with all of the activity with the holidays. Keep yourself well and try to get as strong as you can before surgery. My ribs were on the hips as yours are. The surgery was able to lift them off some. I can maybe put a finger there now. But it does help. You will be busy getting ready.Just be strong!
          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
          Right scapulectomy 6/15
          Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
          To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
          Broken neck 9/28/2018
          Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
          Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
          Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
          Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
          Osteotomy

Comment

Thank you ladies, it's really reassuring to know that other people have experienced the same thing. I was pretty sure surgery was the only thing to alleviate the problem but was hoping there was something else to help. It's just Like nails on a chalkboard..drives me crazy but I got to suck it up and focus on the next 5 weeks. Jess, no, both of my surgeons said its like that because of the scoliosis. What is spondylolisthesis? I had a 2 1/2 hr MRI last month and they said besides the severe curve, my vertebrates were ok for the most part.
            38 yo with 71* left thoracolumbar curve from untreated AIS dx'd @ age 10. Surgery on for Jan 3, 2013 with Dr.'s Robertson and http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ps321159d8.jpg. Spinal Fusion with instrumentation from T2-L4.

Comment

Ribs on pelvis is actually pretty common with larger curves. I also had the issue before my surgeries. I never thought it was all that painful, but I hated the feeling of it, and was glad to be rid of it.
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Linda..I feel the same way, it's not really painful but very uncomfortable. I have OCD and some things or feelings really bother me and this is one of them. Jess, I called dr robertson's office and his PA said that aside from each of my vertebrae rotating backwards and the curve, I don't have any other significant problems according to my MRI and X-rays. Apparently almost anyone with scoliosis has the rotational component and she also echoed what Linda said, that the collapsing rib cage is pretty common with larger curves and there's really nothing besides surgery to get rid of it. Irina, I think I'm going to try yoga. My sister teaches it and loves it and seeing how it helps you, another scoli, what do I have to lose? Ty for the tip!

Comment

Spondylolisthesis
                  is a condition in which one of the bones of the spine (vertebrae) slips out of place onto the vertebra below it.

jess

Comment

Originally posted by Jennilee View Post
                    Hi Linda..I feel the same way, it's not really painful but very uncomfortable. I have OCD and some things or feelings really bother me and this is one of them. Jess, I called dr robertson's office and his PA said that aside from each of my vertebrae rotating backwards and the curve, I don't have any other significant problems according to my MRI and X-rays. Apparently almost anyone with scoliosis has the rotational component and she also echoed what Linda said, that the collapsing rib cage is pretty common with larger curves and there's really nothing besides surgery to get rid of it. Irina, I think I'm going to try yoga. My sister teaches it and loves it and seeing how it helps you, another scoli, what do I have to lose? Ty for the tip!
                    Yes, Jennilee, try yoga. I am a worrier too and ruminate about things a lot. It is diffcult just to shut off all these troubling thoughts sometimes. With yoga, all my concentration goes into the poses - feet go this way, arms that way, head there, breath in, breath out. And all of sudden I forget about all the worries and just live in the moment - breath in, breath out. It's a wonderfull feeling.
                    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Working...
                    X